Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

will the engine work if i flip it?

Visiting Guest

04-22-03, 05:09 PM   #1  
engine ear
will the engine work if i flip it?

ok i have a project i am planning to complete over the summer. i want to take a lawnmower engine and use it to power a home built go kart. i'm just confused on whether i can take the engine off the chassis of the mower and put it so i can use it the way i plan. i want to convert it from a vertical position to a horizontal position. is that possible?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-22-03, 05:12 PM   #2  
engine ear
Re: will the engine work if i flip it?

Originally posted by engine ear
ok i have a project i am planning to complete over the summer. i want to take a lawnmower engine and use it to power a home built go kart. i'm just confused on whether i can take the engine off the chassis of the mower and put it so i can use it the way i plan. i want to convert it from a vertical position to a horizontal position. is that possible?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-22-03, 06:02 PM   #3  
Hello Engine ear!

Sorry, but the engine won't work. The reason is that the oil would go to the wrong place inside the engine, and the oiling system would not work. Also the carburetion would be wrong. Find yourself a horizontal shaft engine and you'll be good to go.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

04-22-03, 06:05 PM   #4  
texdiyguy
Probably not possible. If it's a 4 cycle, the oil splash lubrication won't work and it'll burn up pretty quickly (like in minutes). Even if it's 2 cycle, you'd probably have problems with the fuel supply and carburetor.

Visiting Guest

04-22-03, 07:02 PM   #5  
engine ear
thanks i might just use the front wheel drive then

Search this Thread