will the engine work if i flip it?

Old 04-22-03, 05:09 PM
engine ear
Visiting Guest
Unhappy will the engine work if i flip it?

ok i have a project i am planning to complete over the summer. i want to take a lawnmower engine and use it to power a home built go kart. i'm just confused on whether i can take the engine off the chassis of the mower and put it so i can use it the way i plan. i want to convert it from a vertical position to a horizontal position. is that possible?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-03, 05:12 PM
engine ear
Visiting Guest
Re: will the engine work if i flip it?

Originally posted by engine ear
ok i have a project i am planning to complete over the summer. i want to take a lawnmower engine and use it to power a home built go kart. i'm just confused on whether i can take the engine off the chassis of the mower and put it so i can use it the way i plan. i want to convert it from a vertical position to a horizontal position. is that possible?

Old 04-22-03, 06:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Engine ear!

Sorry, but the engine won't work. The reason is that the oil would go to the wrong place inside the engine, and the oiling system would not work. Also the carburetion would be wrong. Find yourself a horizontal shaft engine and you'll be good to go.

Old 04-22-03, 06:05 PM
texdiyguy
Visiting Guest
Probably not possible. If it's a 4 cycle, the oil splash lubrication won't work and it'll burn up pretty quickly (like in minutes). Even if it's 2 cycle, you'd probably have problems with the fuel supply and carburetor.

Old 04-22-03, 07:02 PM
engine ear
Visiting Guest
thanks i might just use the front wheel drive then