Water in fuel line

Old 04-24-03, 09:12 AM
metadog
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Water in fuel line

Hi! I have a 17.5 HP Scotts (John Deere), riding mower that I got last August. It ran fine all summer and fall, but I guess I didn't winterize it well enough. It won't start now. I replaced the spark plug, put in fresh gas, checked the oil and recharged the battery. It will turn over, but not fire up. Is it possibly water in the fuel line? If so, how best to remove? It is a Kohler motor.

Do you know of any illustrated guide online? I would have an easire time finding the things I need to service if I could refer to an image.

Thanks!
-Mike

Old 04-24-03, 10:08 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
A John Deere dealer should be able to furnish the needed parts diagram. You can try to plug your model # into Sears.com (then parts) and see if it comes up as well.

If you put fuel into the cylinder will it fire and run? If so, there is a fuel problem.

Old 04-24-03, 08:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello Mike!

You need to determine, first of all, if you have spark. If you do, then it's probably a fuel problem, but if you don't, it's an ignition problem. These engines have a SAM (spark advance module) that has a shutdown relay. These relays are not sealed, and can accumulate moisture and stick, disabling the ignition system.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: