surgery

Old 04-24-03, 04:42 PM
engine ear
Visiting Guest
Unhappy surgery

i want to perform open heart surgery on my engine because it won't start at all now... does anyone have any tips for me?
plus i've tried all the stuff i read about on this forum and they didn't work.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-03, 07:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You need to find out why it won't start. Are you losing spark? Are you getting fuel? Both at the proper time? Sufficient airflow into and out of the engine?

Old 04-25-03, 03:56 PM
engine ear
Visiting Guest
ok i think i'm just going to gut it anyway and buy myself a new one--the kind i need. i will just use it for parts.

Old 04-26-03, 08:43 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What type of engine? Age? Model #? Actual problem?

Have spark? Does it run if you put fuel into the cylinder?

etc, etc, etc. I have resurrected many "dead" engines with simple TLC.

Old 04-27-03, 06:55 PM
engine ear
Visiting Guest
all i know is that its an eager 1 engine from craftsman. other than that, i dont have a clue as to how old it is or anything... i got it out of someones trash pile. it ran for a little bit. then it just decided that it didn't want to run at all. it didn't even feel like it was trying to start. i have checked for a spark and there is one. i didn't try putting fuel in the cylinder but i don't think i'm going to either. i decided to buy a new engine that simplify all the problems that would smack me in the face. oh i also tried the electric start with a new battery, because the old one was shot, and that didn't even start it. it just drained the battery. it looks pretty old from what i can tell and i think that it met its match and age just caught up with it.

Old 04-28-03, 05:57 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Nah. If it ran for you, it's probably in need of TLC. Eager 1 is a Tecumseh engine for Sears and will have the model # 143 as the prefix on it.

Probably from the 1970's. I have reserructed many of those. They run forever, people just don't know how to maintain 'em .