Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Running Problem

Visiting Guest

04-25-03, 02:54 PM   #1  
eford
15.5 bs craftsman mower not running right

Ok, last time I was here was because fuel was getting in engine block and mixing with oil . Bought a new carb and that solved that problem. Thank you for the help. Now a new problem has occurred. Since putting the new carb on the engine, it doesn't quite run right. It starts to back fire. Doesn't quite idle properly. Just when I thought I had the engine running smoothly, I engage the mower and the engine stalls out. Once again, start the engine and it back fires and so on. Any help on getting this engine to run smooth again.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-25-03, 03:03 PM   #2  
eford
Sorry forgot to include this with the earlier message.
model number is 917259530
and the serial is 031397D002923

04-25-03, 06:52 PM   #3  
try adjusting the fuel mixture needle valve.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-25-03, 11:12 PM   #4  
The model# you gave looks to be a sears #, not the engine model#, but I do think that you are running too lean. It could very well be that you have water in your fuel system, and it has collected in the carburetor bowl. This could have caused the original problem as well. Remove the bowl and look for water, rust, debris, etc...

To remove the bowl, this engine you have probably has a solenoid screwed into the bottom of the carb, and it must be removed. Then the bowl will come off.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

04-26-03, 05:02 PM   #5  
eford
ok my bad that was the sears model number. Good catch Mr Cheese. The number for the 15.5 bs is 2eN707, type 0173-01, maybe I got it right this time.
Even though it is a new carb, I bow to the knowledge of the all knowing Mr. Cheese, I took the carb off and opened it up, brand new, no debris. I adjusted the mixture and it is no longer back fireing. Still the engine will not idle smoothly. It pulses, for a lack of better explanation. You know, the engine revs, then goes down, then revs. If I put any sort of load on it, it dies, I have to keep the choke on and it still will pulse, when doing that.! Am I looking at carbon build up on the valves? Would this be the problem or am I straying here. Unsure at this point, although the old carb allowed gas to flow freely when the engine wasn't running, I could still fire up the engine and it would run smooth.
I am grateful for all that you do Mr Cheese and am anxiously awaiting your reply. oh yeah and Mower 17, thank you for your input, most helpful

Last edited by eford; 04-27-03 at 01:56 PM.

Visiting Guest

04-27-03, 03:56 PM   #6  
eford
First I would like to thank Mr Cheese and Mr Mower17 for their help. I have found the problem and the mower is now running like new. It bothered me that the mower ran before the new carb. I emptied the gas, opened the carb up and still no help. Got to thinking about the mixture, no matter what I tried nothing would stop the pulse of the motor. Decided to remove the carb and change the gaskets, That was the trick, found the other gasket not to be sealing properly, changed it out and VROOM!
Once again thanks alot guys. Got this Louisiana boy up and mowing again!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-27-03, 07:17 PM   #7  
Glad you got it going. The new carb was definitely running too lean, for one reason or another. The symptoms you described were classic lean-run conditions. Did you change the needle in the old carb before installing it? If not, you may find it flooded again next time you use it. Maybe they sent you the wrong carb, with an undersized jet in it. I have run across this a time or two.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

04-27-03, 07:52 PM   #8  
eford
no change to needles, the old carb needs tons of work, way gone, the new one is installed, I adjusted the mixture, you were correct on that, good catch, that stopped the back fire, but the engine still would not run properly, once I change out the gasket, she purrs like a kitten. once again thanks alot for all the help. Maybe I can help somebody sometime!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-28-03, 05:30 PM   #9  
Ohhh! OK, I was thinking you put the gasket from the new carb onto the old one to get it going. You are good to go then.

Take care!

God bless!

Search this Thread