advice for leaf blower

Old 04-26-03, 03:18 AM
chris4smi
Visiting Guest
advice for leaf blower

hello, i'm going to buy a leaf blower. i have over an acre with pine needles everywhere. this is a blower i'd like to use often throughout the year. i usually have trouble starting anything with a starter rope because (at my size) it is difficult to pull the starter rop e far enough and fast enough to start it. i started reading about electronic ignition. how does that work? are they easy to start? i have also read poor reviews for craftsman/poulan/weedeater blowers and how the power can lessen after spending months in the garage . i need it blow the pine needles, sticks , rocks, blow out centers of shrubs, etc. of course i want it be lightweight, and i want to be able to start the thing without having to go get my husband. please give me some advice. thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-03, 12:29 PM
engine ear
Visiting Guest
do you mean electronic start? if so, it is extremely simple-- all you have to do is prep the engine and push a button for starting.

Old 04-27-03, 07:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Pineshade!

All new blowers come equipped with electronic ignition nowadays. There is no "electronic start" available on blowers though. I think, especially in your case (having trouble starting things), I would go with a top brand blower. Cheap blowers are usually just that, and are rarely trouble free. A Stihl would be my #1 choice. (my personal preference). They seem to be pretty dependable and you usually don't have to pull 50 times to get it going. Echo is also a good one. I'm sure there are some other worthy names out there as well.

Hope that helps!

Old 04-27-03, 08:58 PM
chris4smi
Visiting Guest
thank you, i am looking into alll the names i can think of , even trying to find the owners manuals online. i used to buy alot of cheap stuff and i thought i was tearing it up. thank you.

Old 04-28-03, 04:03 AM
Admin Emeritus
Lightbulb My Two Cents Worth

Hello Pineshade

Since the area is about an acre or more, dragging an electrical cord around may not be a wise choice. Starting a small engine may seem to be the best option for a hand held blower.

I agree with cheese that buying a quality brand name as being the best choice for a gas engine blower. Use it often, maintaint it per the owners manual and also use fresh fuel.

Mix the fuel oil mixture per the instructions and never mix more than can be used in one month. Fresh fuel is a must to maintaining the fuel system free of possible stale fuel.

Based upon the area to be cleaned and the personal needs to suite your mentioned conditions and if the financial resources are available, a power driven mower like vacuum may be another option.

These types of power machines can be dual and or multiple purpose machines. A combination machine as leaf vacs, shredders and or mower combinations.

Check with several major outdoor power equipment manufacturers for models available to suite almost every need. Dealers will be listed in the phone book.

Regards & Good Luck. Tom_B. Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....