Engine Running Problem

Old 04-26-03, 09:50 PM
Johnnyvolvo
Visiting Guest
B&S 16.5 running weird????

I have a Briggs and Stratton 16.5 HP Twin2 I/C engine. I have just installed a carburetor kit on (including fuel pump kit). This engine runs fine as long as i am on level ground, but as soon as i start up a hill or i am mowing on an incline it starts to sputter and then it dies! I can push it back on level ground and it will fire right up again. What have i done wrong?? I have also chacked the fuel cap (good), fuel lines (good) and installed new fuel filter and cleaned tank. Any suggestions is appreciated. MODEL#42A707 TYPE:2238 E1 CODE: 9903095A

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-03, 05:06 PM
Admin Emeritus
Carburetor Problem

Hello and Welcome Johnny to the Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

Possible the fuel level in the carb bowl is too low. The engine can run well on level ground and under a light load but not under the heavy load of climbing an incline.

Inclines and or heavy engine loads demands higher volumes of fuel. A low fuel level in the fuel bowl and or an excessively lean carb setting can cause the engine to have the problem your describing.

Most likely I haven't covered all of the potential possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your topic several times over the next few days for additional replies.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Tom_B. Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Old 04-27-03, 07:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Johnny!

I agree with Tom. You didn't happen to get the float on upside down did you?

Old 04-28-03, 04:47 AM
Johnnyvolvo
Visiting Guest
carburetor problem

Tom and cheese thanks for the input,i will check out what you guys suggested and will keep you posted. Cheese i checked to make sure the float wasn`t upside down, it is right. I tried to turn it over to see, but it will only go on one way.

Old 04-28-03, 06:32 PM
Johnnyvolvo
Visiting Guest
carburetor problem

OK guys i trinkered with this thing again today. It fired right up and ran fine until i started up that darn hill! It sputtered a couple of times and then died. I pulled the top of the carb. off and it had just a small amount of fuel in the bowl. I pulled the fuel line off of the fuel pump (the one coming from the tank) and no fuel came out. I noticed that the tank was only half full so i filled it up and the mower ran fine. Here is my question, i know that the reason for the fuel pump on this model is because the carb. is not lower than the tank so it can`t be gravity fed. Why is it that when the tank gets half empty i start having this problem? I would think that there was a problem with the fuel pump, but i have overhauled it and honestly it looks like a pretty simple setup to me. (just gaskets,diaphram,spring, and cup and all those were replaced. The rest of the pump is just plastic) Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Old 04-28-03, 09:30 PM
Johnny:

When you overhauled that fuel pump did you see those real fine springs over the flapper valves? They are so small they can be easlly over looked.

Old 04-28-03, 10:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That is true of the tiny springs Roger mentioned, but it sounds like your fuel tank pickup tube has broken off or moved out of position. That would explain why it needs to be at a certain level for the mower to run. I wasn't sure about the float...there are 2 styles, one of which the needle can only go on one way, which makes it easy to tell what way the float goes. The other can be installed either way.

Look where the fuel lines connects to the top of the tank. There should be a piece that pushes through a grommet. Pull it out and check the tube connected to it for cracks, holes, etc...

Old 04-30-03, 06:02 PM
Johnnyvolvo
Visiting Guest
Carburetor problems

ROGERH YOU ARE DA MAN!!!!!!!!! I would love to buy you a six pack of cold ones. First of all let me explain my iggorance, i have never worked on this model B&S before. I had looked at that stupid fuelpump a dozen times and everything looked fine to me. After Rogerh mentioned the springs and flappervalves, i decided to check that out. It just so happens that my neighbor has the same engine on his mower. We pulled his fuelpump off and sure enough his had the springs and flappervalves. We pulled mine off and there was NO SPRINGS OR FLAPPERVALVES!!! This was a used mower that i had bought from a guy that said it had carb. problems, he must have lost that stuff out of the pump tinkering with it. Anyway i put a new fuel pump on and mowed almost 2 acres of grass without the slightest miss! I would like to thank cheese and Bob also for the input, i guess if i had told you guys that this was a used mower that someone had tinkered with, we could have solved this alot quicker! This is a GREAT forum and thank all you guys for taking the time to help us people that are less gifted at small engine repair.

Old 04-30-03, 10:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good job Johnny! Good advice from Roger too! Glad you got it going

Search this Thread