Gas Edger Problems?

Old 04-27-03, 04:08 PM
jote7946
Visiting Guest
Gas Edger Problems?

I have a craftsman Gas Edger (3.0hp 4 cycle). It woked fine all last year and now I am having trouble starting it. All connections are tight. I dropped some gas into the spark plug and it starts for a couple of seconds and then shuts off. I put a new spark plug and new air filter and still no go? Any Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-03, 04:29 PM
Admin Emeritus
Carburetor Problem

Hello jote

The problem is no fuel is getting into the cyclinder. Most likely cause is a gummed up carb which happens when fuel turns stale.

Solution is to remove the carb, clean it out, including all the fuel passages and reinstall a new carb rebuilding kit of parts.

Also be sure fuel flows out of the tank. Remove the fuel line hose at the carb and test for fuel flow. Fuel should flow freely. If not, check for restrictions in the tank, the line and any fuel filter.

Diaphram carbs usually require a new diaphram. Successful carb cleaning for all types of carbs oftens requires replacement of the needle and seat as well.

Read the already asked questions posted within this forum for additional information pertaining to engines that do not run well and or carb problems, etc.

Other resident small engine service and repair professionals, may offer alternate suggestions, advice, opinions, test and repair procedures and methods.

Check back several times for additional replies.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information, etc. Using this method automatically moves your question back up to the top of the daily list.

Regards and Good Luck, Small Engine Forum Moderator.
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Old 04-27-03, 07:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello jote!

Tom is right, you have carb problems. Look at the pic on this link about the hollow bolt that holds the fuel bowl on, and how to clean the tiny holes in it: http://www.lawn-mower-shop.com/carb1.htm

This should get you going again.

Let us know how you make out!