Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

lawnmower starter cord and recoil

Visiting Guest

04-27-03, 07:20 PM   #1  
nate2001
lawnmower starter cord and recoil

I was replacing the starter cord in my lawnboy 2 stroke that is about 10 years old. I got the cord replaced but the recoil doesn't recoil. When you pull it out, it doesn't go back in. Any idea what I put back together wrong?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-29-03, 09:17 AM   #2  
Joe_F
It may pay to buy a new/reconditioned recoil from the local small engine guy and put it on.

These can be a bit daunting to work with.

Visiting Guest

04-29-03, 06:03 PM   #3  
mikejmerritt
Hello nate2001, either the rewind spring is broken or otherwise unfunctional or you didn't wind the spring before you put the rope in.....Mike

Visiting Guest

05-06-03, 01:29 PM   #4  
JoCalder
I have a lawn boy of about the same vintage -- model id not to hand. I need to replace the pull cord and recoil, but I can't seem to find any way to remove the spool the cord goes round, without removing the main engine shaft. Do you have a tip for accessing the spool?

Many thanks,

-- Jo Calder

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-06-03, 10:45 PM   #5  
If this is the old lawn boy with the green top, the spool should be held in by a bolt in the engine block, just behind the spool. Just loosen the bolt and pull the assembly off.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread