Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Carb Question

Visiting Guest

04-28-03, 06:51 AM   #1  
sprocket226
5 hp B&S question

does anyone know of a site that has a pic of the the throttle pic of a 5 hp B&S ? I finally got this little riding lawn-mower running, but the throttle set up has me stumped. There is a choke butterfly, a throttle butterfly, and some arm thingy that comes from the base of the motor. Any help appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-28-03, 09:05 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Try Briggs and Stratton's website at www.briggsandstratton.com

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-28-03, 05:43 PM   #3  
Hello Sprocket!

You may find what you need at the B&S website Joe linked you to. Also, most chain automotive parts stores carry small engine manuals that show the different type setups for these carbs. There are many many different throttle linkage setups used on these engines, and it would be difficult to tell you how it goes without knowing. Some manufacturers even modified the throttle setup for use in their own application. A manual might not even show this. Generally, there is a short spring that connects to the "arm" you described (governor arm). The other end of the spring goes to the throttle control (where the throttle cable hooks up). Also from the governor arm is a long wire linkage that goes to the throttle valve on the carb. This rod should run through a long thin spring. The rest depends on what type of carb, engine, year, etc... you have.

I hope this helps. If you can post a pic of what you have, and the pieces, I can help you get it back together.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

04-29-03, 08:57 AM   #4  
sprocket226
well here's what I did, I ran a throttle cable to the throttle on the carb, then I ran a short section of cable to the choke side, so the choke will stay on (there's a spring on the choke butterfly, and if there's no cable on it, it will just fully open). So I have a throttle, but I have to manually operate the choke. I'll post a link to the pic, but it's kinda crappy...Oh well seems to work good though, so far I have like $20 wrapped up into this thing so I can't complain!
pic

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-29-03, 06:29 PM   #5  
OK, I see what you have now. It is a simple setup. The problem with the way you have it connected now is that you have no governor operation. Any briggs manual will show you this setup. I'll see if I can round up a diagram for you.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

04-29-03, 06:52 PM   #6  
sprocket226
you're right no govenor system, just flapping in the breeze. I don't have the springs to hook it up. It takes a special spring with a special tension doesn't it? There was a rigged up spring on it, but when I started it, the engine wouldn't hold a consistant rpm, it would go up and down, like the spring wasn't strong enough...

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-30-03, 10:40 PM   #7  
Any small engine repair shop should have the correct spring, or be able to get it. All they need is the model# and type# off of your engine. (found stamped on the shroud).

God bless!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-30-03, 10:41 PM   #8  
Any small engine repair shop should have the correct spring, or be able to get it. All they need is the model# and type# off of your engine. (found stamped on the shroud). It shouldn't be over $2.00.

God bless!

Search this Thread