2 Cycle Engine Problem

Old 04-29-03, 05:26 PM
Shanny
Visiting Guest
Unhappy LawnBoy Throttle

I have a LawnBoy that is 3 years old that is having throttle issues. At half throttle, the mower runs smoothly. At full throttle, it chokes itself out. I've replaced the air filter, and always make sure the oil/gas ratio is accurate. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-03, 06:11 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
If a 2 cycle model it could be in need of a new plug if you havn't tried one. Are you sure its flooding or are you using the term "choking out" as a general description for poor running at full throttle. Could the engine be falling out because its lean?....Mike

Old 04-29-03, 06:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Shanny!

Another common cause of your symptoms on lawnboys is the muffler gets stopped up. Check that too!

Old 04-30-03, 04:35 AM
buttlint
Visiting Guest
Shanny,

Some lawnboys have a funky choke and throttle cable setup.

With the machine stopped, set the lever at the full throttle position. Remove the air filter and cover and see what position the choke plate is in. If the plate is not fully open, then you will know that it is indeed, choking out.

If this is a 2-cycle engine, as we are assuming, the throttle control lever is not very well marked, and confusing. I have noticed on some of them that the throttle lever is pointing straight up in the air at full throttle and going past that point starts to engage the choke mechanism.

Whether that cable is adjustable, I am not sure. Some are and some arent.(?) Post your model numbers and we could tell for sure. 'lint.