Engine oil

Old 05-01-03, 06:34 PM
J A Boggan
Visiting Guest
Engine oil

Does anyone have an opinion about which is the better oil to use on small engines above 40 degrees F...30 wt high detergent or 30 wt non-detergent.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-03, 10:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hi JA Boggan!

I would reccomend SAE 30 with detergent in all situations nowadays. The detergents in oils have come a long way in the past several years, and I use nothing else.

Old 05-02-03, 07:10 AM
J A Boggan
Visiting Guest
Cheese, Thanks for your opinion. HD oil is supposed to help keep the combustion products and the wear particules suspended...right?

Old 05-03-03, 12:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Right! It used to be, several years ago, that the HD oils had negative effects on the aluminum components in engines, and ND was reccomended for small engines. That changed a long time ago, and no manufacturers reccomend ND anymore that I'm aware of.

Old 05-06-03, 08:03 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I think with oil technology the way it is today if you use the proper API grade for the engine (based on what the engine company recommends), you should be fine .

My '65 Craftsman blower says to use "10W" oil in it (Allstate preferred...because that was the Sears label the oil was marketed under at the time ). I haven't seen 10W oil in a while, but 10W30 is available and will work fine in this old horse .