2 Cycle Starting Problem

Old 05-01-03, 07:06 PM
nancyy
Visiting Guest
Question another old lawn boy lean starting problem

We have an old Lawnboy, probably over 20 years old, which gave us a problem for the first time this spring. It's always been a bit hard starting, but when it got going, it ran fine. Now when it starts, it won't continue to run unless I press the rubber "primer" button and keep on pressing it. As soon as I stop, the engine quits. We've cleaned the carburetor, changed the spark plug, blew out the one jet we could find, and cleaned out the fuel hose, but the problem still exists. Any suggestions? Are there any troubleshooting manuals for old Lawnboys available? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-03, 09:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello nancyy!

Sounds like your carburetor still needs work. Have you removed the carb and cleaned it off the machine? Is the mounting gasket in good shape? Have you adjusted the air-fuel mixture screw?

Old 05-02-03, 06:08 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello and Welcome Nancy. to the Do-It-Yourself Web Site and the Small Engine forum.

Other possible problems or conditions which may be all or part of the problem.

Low compression caused by worn piston rings.
Exhaust restrictions within the muffler or exhausting system.
Carb adjustments, as mentioned or float level within the carb.
Restricted air vent in the fuel cap.
Worn rotary valves, if equipped or intake fuel flow between the carb and engine crankcase, etc.

Local small engine repair shops or mower dealers can also be helpful for problem causes, solutions and parts. They are listed in the phone book.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Tom_B. Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Old 05-03-03, 06:21 PM
nancyy
Visiting Guest
old Lawnboy

Thanks, we did take the carburator off and clean it, and tried most of the other suggestions. We think it's probably a compression problem. We ended up bringing it to a local repair place where they collect old Lawnboys!! (How does one show a Lawnboy collection? Is there a Lawnboy Museum?)
Anyway, I appreciate the feedback. This website is a great find, and I look forward to checking frequently, as we're getting ready for a kitchen renovation in a month.