Flywheel--out of round??

Old 04-30-03, 06:43 PM
PhilG
Visiting Guest
Flywheel--out of round??

Tiller engine-8hp B&S. My flywheel is stopping against the ignition armature. When I gap it (.010) the flywheel will stick at 1/2 turn from the magnets. Could the flywheel key cause the flywheel to be out of round? (This is an eletric start). If I adjust the armature to compensate the flywheel rotates smoothly all the way around but my gap is to large. If I gap it correctly the flywheel sticks so much so that it will not advance past this point. Please help as this is driving me crazy.

Old 04-30-03, 10:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello Phil!

I suppose it is possible that your flywheel is out of round, but not likely. I think you'll find that your crankshaft is bent, causing the flywheel to "wobble". How did the engine wind up in the state it is in? Was it a gradual problem, something that didn't work right when putting it back together, or did it just quit on you? In other words, I'm looking for a little history on it to help you figure out what has gone wrong.

Old 05-01-03, 04:46 PM
PhilG
Visiting Guest
The tiller worked fine last year when it was put up for the winter. I brought it out this year and used it to break the garden. It ran about 1 1\2 hrs and I then refueled. It was locked up and the flywheel would not turn. It was extremely difficult to turn by hand. Trying to brainstorm with others it appeared that the engine had seized. I got a new short block and have installed it. After getting it back together I discovered that the flywheel would stick against the armature when properly gapped. With the magnets at 12 o'clock I have good spin. With the magnets at 6 o'clock the flywheel jams. Another question...I had difficulty installing the flywheel key. With the flywheel on the shaft and the grooves lined up, I expected the key to pretty much slided right in. I couldn't get it started and had to tap it in and I think it shaved off some of the key as it was being driven in.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Old 05-01-03, 05:42 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Does the flywheel have shiny wear marks from rubbing against the coil from the original engine? Did you have the proper amount of oil in the original engine before it froze up?

Old 05-01-03, 06:08 PM
PhilG
Visiting Guest
I was neglegent in checking the oil level before using it this year. After the freeze up I checked and saw that it was low, that was the reason I replaced it with the new short block. I'm not convinced now that the old engine is locked up.
I didn't noticed shiny marks on the flywheel before but I do see them now. But this could be from my attempts to start the engine now.

Old 05-01-03, 06:22 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the old crankshaft isn't scratched or scored, you could use it instead of the new crankshaft and see if your problem remains.

Old 05-01-03, 10:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
OK, the flywheel installation problem is what I was looking for. I think your flywheel is not seating correctly on the taper of the crankshaft. It is mounted crooked, I believe. Remove it and find out why it is not seating right. You should be able to install the flywheel and key by hand when everything is in proper position. Look for a burr or rust in the bore of the flywheel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: