Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

shaky mower

Visiting Guest

05-02-03, 09:09 AM   #1  
ahlecks
shaky mower

hi, there,guys.i need help.my lawn mower shakes/vibrates even the handles because of that.the leaves bag collector pops out.need your help.thank you

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

05-02-03, 09:16 AM   #2  
Two things:

1. Make sure every nut and bolt is tight.
2. Replace the blade; it may be bent or out of balance.
3. Have it professionally checked for something more serious like a bent shaft (from hitting something solid while mowing).

Visiting Guest

05-02-03, 11:01 AM   #3  
jote7946
Mine vibrates also...My hands go numb from it! I changed the blade, tightned every bolt, made sure the front wheels and back wheels were set to the same height! It still virbrates.

Never checked for a bent shaft...sound exspensive

Do what I did...I got anti-vibration gloves...the type they use for Jack-hammers. They work great!!!
Cheaper than a new mower!!!

Visiting Guest

05-02-03, 01:17 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Vibration can be dangerous. Parts can loosen and fly off or shear and cause injury or property damage.

Vibration is generally a sign of trouble. Your life is not worth saving on the repair or replacement of defective equipment/parts.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-03-03, 12:20 AM   #5  
A bent shaft CAN be dangerous, as Joe mentioned. If the bolts are tight, and blade is not bent, you most likely have a bent crankshaft. This will ruin the engine at the least, because it wears out the bottom bushing and lets the oil out. A crankshaft should run somewhere around $40.00 for most push mower engines. Some shops straighten them.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread