Engine Starting Problem

Old 05-02-03, 01:22 PM
Ian
Visiting Guest
Question Engine starting problem FIXed Thanks !!

I have an old Briggs and Stratton Edger with a 2 HP horz shaft engine 1980 model, 60102 0267-06 80032801
I purchased this new and it has never been taken apart. Oil and plugs only. Refuses to start, no spark.
I read the postings and decided that points are dirty and need to get off the flywheel.
I can not remove the rope pull ratchet assembley from flywheel!!
This is alloy, probably pot metal and there does not seem to be a way to hold it to try and twist it off.
Is thread RH ?
Ideas please.
Thanks Guys !!

Last edited by Ian; 05-03-03 at 09:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-03, 07:12 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello and Welcome Ian to the Do-It-Yourself Web Site and the Small Engine forum.

Before removing the flywheel for a no spark condition, I would highly suggest you first check for a grounded electrical connection at the kill switch.

It is often found to be a grounded kill switch that is causing a no spark condition rather than a magneto or a points and condenser failure. Not so in all cases but always possible.

Use an ohm meter across the contacts and determine if there is constant contact to ground. If there is the switch is defective. If there is any doubt, seperate the connection contact and reattempt to start the engine.

Also replace the spark plug with a new plug. Be sure the spark plug is correctly grounded to the engine head when testing for spark or an electrical connection from the wire.

Most likely I haven't covered all of the potential possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your topic several times over the next few days for additional replies.

Small engine repair parts are available at all local small engine repair shops and or lawn mower repair shops. They are listed in the phone book directory in every town.

Suggestion:
Read the already asked questions and the replies offered in them on this same type of engine starting problem for additional help & information on this subject.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Tom_B. Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

Old 05-02-03, 07:28 PM
Ian
Visiting Guest
On this design there is no grounding switch, just a metal strap that flips onto the plug wire clip
I have checked for a spark, and there is none.
Which leaves me trying to get the flywheel off.
Can some one give me directions to get the ratchet assembly off the fly wheel so I can then pull the flywheel?

Thanks for the help,

Ian.

Old 05-03-03, 12:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Ian!

There is a special tool made by briggs to remove the starter ratchet, but a large pair of channel locks will also work. Hold the flywheel with a strapwrench, or flywheel holder. I would suggest forgetting about the points and just installing a solid state ignition coil on it. It is much more reliable and accurate. Might coswt you $25 for a new one, less for a used one.

Old 05-03-03, 09:48 AM
Ian
Visiting Guest
thanks, that helped a lot.
Success !!!
dont have channel locks big enough so used my pipe wrench.
Tried to buy a strap wrench at lawnmower shop and Autozone, no luck.
wedged a adj wrench under the thickest fin and turned, then clutch cover fell off and balls rolled.
Tried again and it unscrewed ok.
couldnt get my puller under the flywheel but a hit with a 1 lb hammer and it just dropped off.
Cleaned points and checked gap, re assembled and got a nice spark hand turning the clutch assembley. Finished assembley.
Its back together running well !!

Thanks again for your help !!

Ian.

Old 05-04-03, 03:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good job! The flywheel on your engine is cast iron, and can stand a little bit of "wedging", but if you run into one with an aluminum flywheel, don't try that, you will break off a fin or two, throwing the flywheel out of balance. Glad we could help!