Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Starting Problem

Visiting Guest

05-04-03, 09:02 AM   #1  
BSparks294
Troy Bilt tiller will not start

I have a 10 year old Troy-built roto-tiller with a 7 hp motor. the horse model. Last year it would only run with the choke on about half-way even when warmed up and this year it will not start at all. It will run for a few seconds if I poor gas or starter fluid in the carb. I have taken off the float cover and cleaned that area up and it has fresh gas. Thanks, Brad

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-04-03, 10:05 AM   #2  
Hello Brad!

You will need to clean the carburetor well. If it has a tecumseh engine, remove the bowl retaining nut, and clean the tiny holes in the sides of it. You may need to remove the entire carb and soak it in carb cleaner.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

05-04-03, 01:37 PM   #3  
BSparks294
Yes Cheese, it does have a Tecumseh engine. xxxxxxxxxxxxx I had a 10hp Snowblower with the Tecumseh as well. xxxxxxx It would only start in warm weather. Lot of good that does for a snowblower. Consequently I now own a honda push mower, a honda riding lawn mower and a honda 13hp generator. I will try the carburetor cleaning thing.

==============
Web Hosts & Moderators Note

Parts of this thread have been edited.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 05-10-03 at 08:38 PM.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-04-03, 10:51 PM   #4  
The engine you have on this machine is a good one. Let us know how it goes!

==========

Web Hosts & Moderators Note:

Part of this thread has been edited.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 05-10-03 at 08:40 PM.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-06-03, 10:53 PM   #5  
A 1965 tecumseh is a whole lot different from a 1995 though. (as is the case with any manufacturer). The old ones like you have were decent engines.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

05-07-03, 09:55 AM   #6  
BSparks294
Thanks Cheese,

I got the carburetor cleaned up real good and did not even have to buy new parts. It started on the first pull and it has always run very well after it started. It even runs now without the choke on. God bless.

Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

05-10-03, 08:54 PM   #7  
Web Site Moderator Note

Attention Subject Reads

Several threads have been deleted from this question and others have been edited. The member asking the question only wants help with the repair of the engine.

Neither the member asking the question, myself nor other readers of this thread want to read personal opinions, brand loyality opinions, stories and or tall tales, disputes and disagreements among moderators and members.

Reminder Note To All Members and Moderators.

Avoid adding your personal opinions, brand loyalty discussions, disputes and or disagreements into replies.

Answer the question only!

answering the members question is the purpose of the forum and the reason the member posted a question within the forum.

Everything else does not matter and is not relevant to helping.

Web Site Host & Moderator
Tom_B.

Search this Thread