2 Cycle Starting Problem

Old 05-04-03, 05:34 PM
orts01
Visiting Guest
Smile Engine Problems w/ Homeline Trimmer, AGAIN!

Hi all, first time on your forum. Good stuff!

Here is my problem. I have an older Homelite string trimmer. This thing is a bear to start. I think the problem is flooding. Based upon other posts I have seen I don't think I will be buy another Homelite.

The trimmer has a Walbro carb, the only identifying numbers on the carb body are 220 and A2? I have located 3 adjustments, but I am skeptical if any of them will fix the problem. The settings I believe are idle fuel/air mix, full throttle or high fuel/air mix, and the idle. Looks like Walbro dummy proofed the fuel/air mix meters because they have a cam looking thing on the actual screw that doesn't allow you to turn them a full rotation? The little cam on either one will hit the other screw before is can be turned all the way around.

I also have a problem once running (rare) where if you pull the throttle full, the engine will bogg down and sometimes die. If I pull the throttle real slow, I can get it to rev to high rpm.

I found some resources on the net for Walbro Carbs. They said that flooding is controlled by a metering lever? Can't find any adjustments for fuel metering, which leads me to believe that the only fix is a carb rebuild. I really don't want to go there, I just want to trim my grass, arghhhh.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,

Scott

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-03, 10:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Orts01!

Welcome to DIY!
When a walbro carb floods, it is usually due to a needle in the carb not sealing well. Disassembly of the carb is required to repair it. It's not usually that hard, but there are tiny pieces that can get lost easily. Note how each piece comes off, and clean out the carb well, replace gaskets and diaphragm and needle, and reassemble. There is a tiny screw that must come out to remove the needle, and when it comes out, a tiny spring may pop out. Be careful not to lose it, it will be needed.

Old 05-05-03, 07:35 AM
orts01
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the bad news...

Cheeze,

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid you were going to said that. I changed out the fuel just in case. I also removed and cleaned the exhaust side. I'll call around for a carb rebuild kit today.

This thing will run and run well or it will be the end of me. Famous last words!

Scott

Old 05-05-03, 07:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good luck, and keep us posted! Drop in if you run into problems.