Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Stalling

Visiting Guest

05-05-03, 07:48 AM   #1  
Jayster
engine dies

Hello,
I have a ServiceStar rear bagger (mower) w/3.5HP 9.02cu in (148cc) motor. lot/model 115-312-105 , mfg date f105B (or f1058).
Is there a standard setting for the idle screw? I have been to the B&S website, and have started the engine... but it soon dies and only restarts after a rest. So; I messed with the idle screw and probably made things worse. This is an old mower, and a gift, but I am not willing to buy new. (nor am I able) Also; I am not sure I have used the right plug for this mower, I have a 'SP-34' in it, now.
HELP! (Please?)

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

05-05-03, 09:14 AM   #2  
Hello: Jayster

Chances are the engine restarts after a rest because it is running out of fuel in the carb. Check the fuel flow out of the tank.

Remove the fuel line from the tank at the carbs inlet. Allow the fuel to flow out freely for 1 or 2 minutes. The fuel must flow constantly and freely or there is a restriction in the tank or the fuel line to the carb. Could also be a pluged fuel tank gas cap.

The idle set screw will be located on the carb. It will be the one that the throttle plate rests on. Turning the screw inwards should advance the throttle plate to open slightly more. Turning the idle speed screw to advance the plate will increase the idle speed.

The basic carb fuel flow screw setting should be 1 and 1/2 truns outwards from the lightly bottomed out position. Turn the fuel setting screw inwards to the end till it bottoms gently. Than trun it outwards 1 and 1/2 turns outwards.

Once the engine begins running, a slight outwards or inwards adjustment may be required to fine turn the adjustment. If the carb is not gummed up and all other operations are correct, the engine should start up easily, accelerate corrctly and run fine.

Most likely I haven't covered all of the potential possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your topic several times over the next few days for additional replies.

Small engine repair parts are available at all local small engine repair shops and or lawn mower repair shops. They are listed in the phone book directory in every town.

Suggestion:
Read the already asked questions pertaining to engine running problems etc within this forum and the replies offered in them on this same type of problem topic for additional help & information on this subject.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Tom_B. Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

Visiting Guest

05-05-03, 11:47 AM   #3  
Jayster
Thumbs up, Tom!
As soon as I read the first sentence of your reply, it started to dawn on me...
"Chances are the engine restarts after a rest because it is running out of fuel in the carb..."
Let me give you a little background, here. I got the mower from a neighbor who couldn't do it... anything right, that is! The blade was bent, it wouldn't run, every wheel was set to a different height! He told me to take it and see if I could fix it. (I'm sure he thought it was a lost cause) So, first things first, I tuned it (plug & oil change, fresh gas) got it to fire a little, then running, by turning the idle set screw all the way in, then a turn and some back out. Success! Next, the wheels (after soaking in WD-40) were readjusted, and I tipped her up on the side to get some heat on the blade to bend it back a bit...
Well, I saw the OIL leaking out, but never noticed all my GAS going to the same place!
So; LOL at me!
I can't believe my brain sometimes... I still didn't believe it until I took off the gas cap to make sure the vent wasn't plugged. Hello! (echo)
Thank you, my neighbors thank you, and I'm off to mow the lawn.
Jay

Search this Thread