Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Starting Problem

05-05-03, 06:11 PM   #1  
old briggs

My grampa has an old 3 hp briggs on a murray push mower. The engine is dated 09/14/79. For some reason he has to start the engine running with a certain fuel/air mixture. Then after it starts he has to adjust the needle valve. Today I took the carburetor apart and cleaned it, I checked the tank for trash/water, and I cleaned the plug. I also tried without the air filter. Would all he need is a carburetor kit. There is just one needle valve and one diaghram gasket. If he would have to change it, how much would the kit cost? After the engine gets started, I think he turns the needle valve counter-clock wise. I have been trying to figure this one out for a long time. Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-05-03, 07:38 PM   #2  
Hi mower17

Sounds like a diaphragm kit may be needed. It should be less than $5.00.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

05-05-03, 08:34 PM   #3  
Thanks Cheese. Once again, you were a big help.

Visiting Guest

05-06-03, 08:01 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Sure sounds like a simple repair to me. Think of it this way, if it runs and runs OK except for that, it can't be much to it .

05-06-03, 04:19 PM   #5  
just had this exact same problem with a old 3 or 3.5 hp briggs too. Put a new diphram on it and it runs like a champ.

Search this Thread