Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

chainsaw will not start

Visiting Guest

05-06-03, 04:03 PM   #1  
whitejr
chainsaw will not start

I found a chainsaw at my mother's house purchased a few years ago. I don't know how long ago but it hasn't been used much. The sparkplug looks new and the saw in general looks new. It's a 16" McCullough. I don't have an owners manual. The thing will not start. I smell gasoline as if it's flooding. I really know very little about 2 cycle engines, and am not sure what adjustments need to be made to the fuel mixture, etc. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

05-06-03, 05:09 PM   #2  
First of all, are you using fresh gas? Second make sure you are getting spark. If it still don't start, the carburetor might need to be rebuilt. The diaghram in the carburetor will either get ruined over time from varnished gas, or even quicker from dry rotting from no use. By the way, good find, wish I could find a barely used chain saw!!!

Visiting Guest

05-06-03, 08:51 PM   #3  
whitejr
Thanks .. I managed to get it started, but

it ran wide open and the chain was active. When I turned the choke off the engine died. I think the chain brake should have been on; is that right? I also think when I released the trigger the saw should have dropped back to idle instead of shutting down.

Thanks for the reply. I did have fresh gas, but it is certainly possible the fuel line or carb. has some problems from lack of use.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-06-03, 10:27 PM   #4  
Hello Whitejr!

I agree that you will need carb work, possibly just a cleaning, or maybe a rebuild. Also, replace all fuel lines and clean or replace the in-tank fuel filter. If the lines look good, are still very flexible, and do not have any cracks or holes, they may still be ok.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread