Engine Surging

Old 05-07-03, 04:32 PM
Poltergeist97
Visiting Guest
surging Briggs

My trusty 3.75 hp Briggs & Stratton on my Huskee lawn mower started rev-surging last night. I did all the proper things to get ready after the winter storage and it worked perfectly fine on Saturday when I ran it last. I started it last night and all it wanted to do was cut out and die. I took off the gas tank and looked everything over, cleaned the spark plug (it didn't look out of the ordinary) but the throttle springs didn't seem to have much tension on them. The smaller of the two broke off in my hand and I ended up wiring the throttle open so I could at least cut half my yard. The surging and wanting to die out continued and the full-throttle vibration was hell on the rest of the mower, so I just shut her down.

What do I do?!?!?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-03, 05:12 PM
Did that spring that broke go to the governor linkage? That would cause the problem.

Old 05-07-03, 11:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The missing/broken spring definitelt needs to be replaced. If the surging continues after that is fixed, replacement of the carburetor diaphragm should solve the problem. It is less than $5.00, and simple to do.

Keep us posted!