Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tiller Transmission

Visiting Guest

05-08-03, 12:52 PM   #1  
HELLLLLP!
Tiller Transmission

Hi All,
I have a very old 1975 Montgomery Wards 5hp B&S tiller, I have searched the internet, called local repair shops, got a few 1-800 #'s and still can't find anything! I have been told by a few places that I shoud buy a new one. I would like to know if anyone knows where I may be able to get transmission parts, or a new trans. at a reasonable rate. The engine runs great and looks a bunch stronger than the new ones do. Anyway, when trying to break up the dirt, it would not do it so well. So, we looked at trans. parts and found them to be very worn and would like to repair it, if I can find parts for it. sorry this is sooooo long!

The numbers on the engine are:
130202 0135 07 75031906

The numbers from the data plate, on the tiller frame are:
Model# GIL 1580F
Serial# 590C1 791

The only info. I saw on the trans. itself was, on one side it is marked L5, other side is marked 2. On the steel plate where the trans. mounts are the numbers 23975.

In advance, I'd like to say thank you, and I appreciate all info. from anyone who can help.

Sponsored Links

IL

05-08-03, 04:02 PM   #2  
gilson tiller

try here for parts for your GILSON tiller
http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/search....rchspec=gilson
or go to www.mfgsupply.com and search on GILSON .
hope this helps

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-08-03, 10:03 PM   #3  
Ha! I didn't expect anyone to catch that! Good job jromanec! Gilsonwas bought out by someone...can't remember for sure, but it seems like it was toro.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

05-08-03, 10:59 PM   #4  
HELLLLLP!
Thank you jromanec for the info. you provided. I am sure I WILL be shopping there soon! lol I was able to find the seals and bearings there. I found a bunch o goodies on that site :-)

Now if I could get help in finding the gears, I'll be all set, and one happy camper too!

I did forget to mention it being a Gilson tiller made for Montgomery Wards, and that Gilson was taken over by Lawn Boy.
I called Lawnboy & the girl I spoke with couldn't find in the computor what I was looking for.

Thanks again j for the link. Your help is GREATLY appreciated. :-)

Visiting Guest

05-09-03, 12:36 PM   #5  
Joe_F
See if you get someone else when you call and if they will send you the parts breakdown. With that, you'll know the part #s and can shop around a bit and get the best price.

Visiting Guest

05-10-03, 12:43 PM   #6  
HELLLLLP!
Hi Joe,
Thanks so much for your advice. I will call and ask for that info. and MAYBE,! I will get another clerk on the phone who can help me.

I'd like to thank EVERYONE for being here. I stumbled across this forum while searching the internet for do it yourself manuals, and/or information.
alot of great stuff on this website. i now need to get a notebook! lol

Thanks again all
HELLLLLP!

Visiting Guest

05-12-03, 09:21 AM   #7  
Joe_F
Ya gotta tell 'em like I tell 'em.

"I believe it's quite old and perhaps someone in your tech services department will find it in an archive file".

I called Murray a few times for the owner's manual for my 1965 Sears snowblower. I always get "too old".

But, I got a guy in technical services who was able to help me out after I prodded by e-mail. His name was David Wilson. He looked long and hard and guess what, he found a copy of the manual.

Persistence is key

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-14-03, 10:40 PM   #8  
Did you find any info on the unit yet? If not, I may have found something that could help. I have a diagram of the transmission and the gearcase for a gilson tiller, but it is a pic for a newer tiller than 1975. (probably late '80s). Thing is, many times a company uses the same basic design for years, even decades, and it may apply to your unit as well.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

05-17-03, 10:16 PM   #9  
HELLLLLP!
Hi Cheese,
Thanks for the reply. In the last few days I haven't had time to call for a parts break-down list as sugested.
So, no, I haven't any other information on this tiller.

Do you have a link for the other machine by Gilson, or how can I receive the information?
Thanks again cheese.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As always, I APPRECIATE everyone's help.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-18-03, 12:21 AM   #10  
Post your email address, or send it to me in a private message if you don't want it publicly available, and I will scan the diagrams and Email them to you.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

05-18-03, 06:32 PM   #11  
HELLLLLP!
Hi Cheese,
I don't think I am able to send private messages with msntv service.

My email addy is: [email protected]
Thanks a Bunch!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-18-03, 09:51 PM   #12  
It should be in your box now. I sent the pics in 2 emails (just easier for me that way). They are titled "tiller pictures", and "tiller pics cont". There is a breakdown of the gearcase and the tranny.

I hope they help you!

Let me know!

(BTW: you can send a private message to anyone right here on DIY by clicking the blue box under the persons' post that says PM, or by clicking on their name and choosing "send (name) a private message").

God bless!

Visiting Guest

05-19-03, 09:27 AM   #13  
HELLLLP!
hi cheese,
last night i tried for about 3 hours to update my profile so i could send you a private message. when i tried to do so,
it said: i was not logged in or a registered user! sooo, i logged in
AGAIN and got the same message saying i WAS logged in. then when i tried to access my profile, i got the message saying, i can't veiw because i have to sign in or be a registered user!!!!! i tried over n over n over signing in.
finally, i gave up and thought i'd post a reply to you through the thread.
well, when i tried to post a reply, i was also unable to do that too! i wanted to throw the keyboard across the room! lol....

this morning, i tried again and got no where again! grrrrrrrrr...

i finally threw the towel in and re-registed myself as same name minus 1 L.... i probably should have added at least 10 more L's instead! lol

anyway, i received your reply, but not the pics through email... i would like to know if you would be so kind and re-send?

thanks!
HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
as ALWAYS, I do APPRECIATE your help

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-19-03, 09:54 AM   #14  
I received a notice saying that the email was returned, address not found. Are you sure that the addy you posted is correct?

God bless!

Visiting Guest

05-19-03, 11:23 PM   #15  
HELLLLLP!
thanks cheese for all your time and effort.
this guy really went out of his way to help all he could.
he also told me how to use private messages in here, sent me pics of tiller trans. a couple times & they bounced back to him. but!, he was nice enough to send them again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As always I APPRECIATE the help in here

Search this Thread