Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Running Problem

Visiting Guest

05-09-03, 07:52 AM   #1  
Bugman70
Briggs and choking

I have an 8hp B&S engine on a Troy-Built tiller that has started acting funny. It only runs on anbout half choke and then at reduced power. One day, and for that matter, as long as I've had it, the engine started on one pull and ran perfectly. The next day it did not. I understand this is probably a fuel (or lack therof) problem, but was wondering what the next step should be. It also, once started, runs but surges until you reach some point in adjusting the choke.

The engine Model is 170432. Any ideas??

Thanks,
Bugman

Sponsored Links

05-09-03, 10:41 AM   #2  
The engine is running lean. Try adjusting the needle valve a 1/4 turn to the left. You might have to adjust it a little more if need be. If that doesn't work, then the tiny passage ways in the carburetor are clogged withtrash or maybe varnished gas. You would have to take it appart and clean it very well.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-10-03, 01:27 AM   #3  
Hello Bugman!

Mower 17 is on the right track, but I think you probably have water in the bowl. Try removing the bowl screw and look for water at the bottom. It will look like bubbles under the gas. Clean out any rust and debris while you're in there.

Let us know how it goes!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread