engine runs half speed

Old 05-09-03, 11:53 AM
TomL
Visiting Guest
engine runs half speed

Glad to find this board. Hope someone can help. I have a sears leaf blower that just seemed to start laboring while running and eventually slowing to half speed and stalls when returning to idle. I first thought that maybe the oil with the gas had seperated and the engine was running hot and seizing. I do not believe that is the case because now it will start OK but just runs at half speed and stalls at idles even when cold. I have checked all of the obvious: fuel lines, new spark plug and carb mix adjustment with no luck. Hope someone can help, Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-03, 12:35 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sounds like a gummed up carburetor to me. Was old fuel/oil left in it at one time?

Old 05-10-03, 01:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Tom!

Sounds to me like you have a restricted exhaust. It could also be carb problems, but if it seems to be laboring like you said, and only running half speed, I would lean more towards exhaust restriction first. Try removing the muffler and starting it. Be prepared...it's gonna be loud.

Old 05-10-03, 09:48 AM
One thing to remember when running one of these small engines without a muffler. If you run it for too long, the cool ambient air hitting the hot exhaust valve could warp it, so don't run it too long.

Old 05-10-03, 11:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
correct, just for testing purposes.