Riding Mower Question

Old 05-09-03, 07:26 PM
J A Boggan
Visiting Guest
Question Craftsman rider drive belt

Dose anyone happen to have a owners manual for a model #502.251220 30" rear engine rider? What I'm interested in, is the section covering installing a new drive (motion) belt. I have studied this problem for a long time and it's just about got me stumped. It is the belt that goes around the upper pully on the pto and the transaxle. Also, what is a way to strech a large spring thats got got a resonable amount of pressure on it?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-03, 12:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you try the sears website? You can click on parts and punch in your model# to see an exploded view of the unit. To stretch the spring, get a pull cord for a push mower, tie the ends together to make a circle, hook the cord on the end of the spring, and pull on the other end. It works well.

Old 05-10-03, 01:42 AM
J A Boggan
Visiting Guest
Cheese, I've called their main parts department...the manual is no longer available. I will try the idea you had about the starter rope.

Old 05-10-03, 10:58 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Call up Murray and speak to David Wilson in Tech Services. 502 is a Murray made product for Sears.

Should be www.murrayinc.com or 1-800-251-8007 if memory has me correct on that one.

Might take some digging, but I'll bet they find you and mail you a copy. They did for me on my 1965 Sears snowblower .

Old 05-10-03, 06:00 PM
J A Boggan
Visiting Guest
Cheese and Joe_F, Thanks for the information. I used that idea that you had, using the starter rope and it worked very slick. Also Joe_F, I've already sent an e-mail to Murray. Thanks again!

Old 05-10-03, 06:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have a murray equivalent to that mower at my shop right now. What is it that you need to know, exactly? (how the belt is routed, or how to get it on)?

Old 05-11-03, 05:53 AM
J A Boggan
Visiting Guest
Cheese, I finally got the belt in place, with great difficulty. I wound up having to drop the transaxle and disconnect the belt guards. I just wanted to see what the owners manual had to say about changing it out. There's got to be a simplier way. Does that puller (for the dual pulleys) work pretty good?

Old 05-11-03, 08:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I never have used one, lol. You're talking about the stack pulley on the engine shaft, right? I have had a hard time getting them off before, but always managed. A good idea is to smear a bit of anti-seize on the shaft before re-installing the pulley.

I never had to drop the tranny to change one of those belts, but I do remove the deck and the belt keeper. It's a tight squeeze, getting the belt between the top of the tranny pulley and the mower frame, but it will go.