Engine Repair

Old 05-10-03, 08:04 PM
wayne03
Visiting Guest
Briggs 13HP motor question

I tore down my Craftsman lawnmower to replace the ring gear last week. I had trouble getting the eyelets holding the old ring gear off and in the process damaged one of the magnets under the flywheel. It broke half off, and that half was in pieces. On the advice of a friend I went ahead and put it all back together, with the half magnet missing. It started on the first try and I made a couple of rounds with it. Everything seemed fine. I went out to cut the yard today, once again it started fine. Everything was fine for about two loops, then the engine started lugging and acted like it was missing. It also seemed hotter than usual. I cut it off, let it cool and tried to restart. Now it won't start. I thought the magnets were just for starting? Any ideas on what I might have done wrong, or what may be the problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-03, 11:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Wayne!

Two probabilities here...either:1...the flywheel key has sheared due to not having the flywheel bolt tight enough, or 2:...the magnet that broke has come off of the flywheel and is hanging up and ripping through everything underneath.

The magnets are not for starting, they are for the charging system. Pull the flywheel and have a look, let us know what you see!