Joe's New Find :)

Old 05-11-03, 01:01 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Joe's New Find :)

LOL. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. As some of you know, I purchased a 1965 Craftsman snowblower for $180 off a guy that couldn't sell it on Ebay.

That same day, my mailman told me about a guy that had a "large one" for sale and he wanted to sell it. I looked at it, it was missing some pieces and he wanted "about $100".

I said, "I'll let you know", but have been keeping an eye on the thing. I left him a note asking him if he still had it and would let it go cheap, let me know. He calls me yesterday and says, "come take it...it's yours". LOL.

It is a 536.909400 (Murray made) Craftsman "Eager 1 Winterized", 5 HP, 22" cut 2 stage machine. Engine # (according to Sears.com) is a 143.687022. The parts pages at Sears.com state "Sept. 1978", so I'm guessing this is a 1979 model. The model sticker says code 8728 so I'm guessing it was made in 1978. It has an electric starter and it probably works.

It appears to have had a new gearbox installed as it is grey cast, not white like the auger. It is missing the carburetor heater box and primer and needs the kill switch wire repaired. It need a good servicing and going through, but it has zero rust and appears to have been stored inside. A new muffler and belt is in order. It has a service sticker from a place in Brooklyn, NY, so I'm guessing it was repaired there at one time.

I know I have the backing of this forum for help, so some questions:

1) Anyone know the Lauson interchange for this engine #? I plan to call them and Murray tomorrow for manuals. I will give this unit to my grandfather once I get it going.

2) Anyone have any extra parts for this one?

3) T-man: Any idea of oil capacity (Sears.com states the plug is a Champion J8, should be .030" gap), type, etc?

Any other information on it would be appreciated as I will be getting into it in the next few weeks.

I'll get some photos of it when I'm into it a bit.

Thanks folks,

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-03, 03:03 PM
Joe,
That crosses to Tec HS50 67169B.
I'll check the shelves in the morning, MAY have a heater box.

The p/n's on the Sears engine diagram are Tec numbers.

Tom

Old 05-11-03, 03:12 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Tom:

Absolutely. The machine parts are Noma/AMF (now Murray) numbers. If you can figure out who the Sears vendor is you can cut Sears off at the pass and save some money. That's what I do.

I will need that cover and the ignition key/starter interlock setup as that is gone from what I can see, as well as the primer setup. The carburetor flap is just there in the wind . Let me know what you come up with. I appreciate it.

I think once I source the missing parts, give this thing some TLC and maintenance, I'll bet it fires up. I'm eager to see.

Old 05-11-03, 05:20 PM
Joe,
Carburetor flap? Are you referring to the manual "push" type system like the one on your other engine? Also, can I post internet sources for parts in my replies? Don't want to step on anyone's toes.

I had to go down to my truck to get something so I checked on the heater box. The one that I have is set up for a different choke shaft and has a primer bulb, not the older "button" style. I checked a site for the proper p/n heater box and it was shown as available.($20) These are usually not stock items and have to be ordered from the factory. The last one I ordered took 5 weeks. An interesting point is that on the one I ordered, the kill switch was part of the package and factory installed.

Old 05-11-03, 08:54 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Joe

Potential sources for manuals and or replacement parts:

BILLIOU'S 1-209-784-4102

L.S.THORPE CO. INC. 1-617-776-2445

FOLEY-BELSAW COMPANY 1-816-483-4200

Disclaimer:
I do not have any affiliations nor vested interests in either of these retail parts suppliers. Provided solely to assist with locating parts.

Small engine parts can also be found at your local small engine and lawn mower repair shops listed in the phone book.

Other small engine service and repair professionals, replying within this forum, may be able to offer you additional locations and or sources to obtain manuals and or parts.

Check back on your topic several times.

Regards & Good Luck,
Tom_B. Small Engine Forum Host & Moderator.
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Disclaimer:
Bare in mind my company no longer services nor repairs small engine powered equipment. The information provided is accurate to the best of my knowledge....except for an Ocassional "Senior Moment.".....

Old 05-12-03, 03:37 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Firepaw:

I think that the one you have is right. I think the older manual style system is not used on this HS50. I am calling Tecumseh for the engine manual today and Murray for the machine manual.

Perhaps that will show a better view of things? When I get it, I can fax it to you if you'd like. The Sears scans are tough to see. The originals are very clear, and so are photocopies of them.

If you have a photo of the setup, I'd love to see it. Does yours have the kill switch or just the cover? I'll send a photo of mine if you want.

When I meant carburetor flap, I guess I should clarify . There is no heater box or anything on the carburetor. It's all gone. The carburetor flap (choke vane) is just staring you in the face .

I think if I source this kill switch/cover set up, I'm in good shape with missing parts. The only other thing missing is the auger control handle. The rest of it is complete. I only need a new electric start cord to be 100% anal (the ground prong is missing..I hate that).

Thanks a lot,

Old 05-12-03, 06:00 AM
Joe,
The microfiche shows the carb for your spec number having a choke lever that looks like it may extend through the carb cover (heater box). The cover that I have needs a choke lever that is entirely contained within the cover and controlled by a knob.

HS50's through spec numbers ending ending in "C" show four different carb covers. The fiche however, only shows one illustration. The "B" spec number is not illustrated. I had to go to the carb illustration for your spec number to see the shape of the choke lever. The basic carb body uses at least 5 different choke levers.

If your carb uses a primer bulb, you should see a small fitting on the carb that the primer tube slips onto.

Tom

Old 05-12-03, 06:20 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Tom:

It definitely has a tube because there is a vacuum line off the carburetor with a screw jammed into it . LOL. I also remember seeing the text "primer tube" on the parts breakdown as well.

I'll have to study the unit in more detail and make a copious list of what is missing based on the parts diagram and see what I need to get for it.

I'm pretty sure that era Craftsman was fairly common so I should be able to get all I need pretty reasonably.

Thanks again and keep in touch....I also have Tec fiche here which I will get into in a little while.

Old 05-12-03, 08:23 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Tecumseh owner's and parts manuals on the way, now for Murray to reply .

Old 05-12-03, 10:27 AM
Joe,
Must be your luck day! Here's more good news. I went to rcpw and plugged in the numbers from the sears dwg. for the auger control rods and grip, using Murray as the oem. It looks like the parts are stock items. Usually, if the parts are not available, they won't list a price.

Tom

Old 05-12-03, 10:39 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thanks Tom. That is good news. Their shipping, is well, not so good of news .

You're right they are high. I just ordered the spark plugs and the belt (A Gates #6837) for it from my auto parts store. Those are stocked items and I get a great discount from my place (I know I have the same computers and price sheets they have..lol).

Tec is sending the manual and I got through to Murray Technical and the lady took down all of the information and said there was a very good chance they had a copy in the archives to send me or photocopy for me.

In that way, I will have everything I need to learn how it operates and the little tricks and what not. For instance on my 6 HP unit, I was not aware that the drift cutters are also used to support the machine when changing the belt or greasing the unit. I'm a firm believer of documentation for all my equipment.

I also got lucky---the Tec fiche I had here at work had the crossover from the Sears #, as well as the parts breakdown for the machine. I printed out the starter, carburetor, and magneto breakdowns as well as the breakdowns from Sears.com.

I have all the #s now . I just have to source what it needs (I'll make a list) and we'll go from there. I want to make sure it runs before I sink any real time or money into it, but I think it's one to be saved .

Old 05-13-03, 10:56 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Atta boy Murray

Folks:

After some TLC (clean and gap the plug, clean out the carburetor, change the oil, replace the fuel line), I can now report that I have one running 1979 Sears/Murray #536.909400 5HP, 22" path 2 stage snow blower. I can't tell you how long it sat, but this bugger started on the fourth try!

It lopes and surges (carburetor needs rebuilding, plus I need to source the heater box and other parts), but it DOES move in all speeds (including reverse!) and the auger engages. The belts were even new and the electric starter works too .

With some TLC and help from those in this forum (you know who you are..lol) I know I will have a 100% running machine in short order.

Thanks!

Old 05-18-03, 06:17 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Found the surging/dumping problem. Hole in the carburetor float. I was getting ready to rebuild it and when cleaning everything with carburetor cleaner I had the presence of mind to shake the float and I hear fuel sloshing around in it .

I also got the owner's manual in the mail from Murray. Wow, an original 1979 publication. LOL. Has some great information on the machine in it.

Just as my neighbor was talking to me about my new "find", the mailman showed up with the manual. LOL.

I will get a list of part #s for the machine that I need and if anyone has them or can help (the online places KILL you with shipping), I would be grateful.

Mike Merritt: I will e-mail you, I have a question.

Thanks,

Old 05-23-03, 09:57 AM
Joe_f:

You will be very happy with this unit. My dad has the 7hp variety of this unit (24" cut) from 1978, and you cannot stop it! I have gone through packed wet snow, slush, ice and drifts higher than the opening, and could not stall the engine. The governor is very good, and the power is just right for the load it can accept, even after 2 carb rebuilds.

One thing to watch out for is the cable to engage the impeller. Keep it well-lubricated from the lever down to the part that engages. I had it seize once and bend the wire, so I could not throw snow.

Other than that, a very solid machine. Good find!

Old 05-23-03, 11:06 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Well thanks. Believe it or not, yesterday on the way to work, I found a 2 stage 8 HP Ariens discarded that ran!

I called up my coworker to grab it (he lives near there) and he took it for his dad. LOL. I shouldn't have let that one go. LOL.

Once I find the needed missing parts for the machine, and rebuild the carburetor, it will be good to go. As you said, it's a good find!

Old 05-24-03, 03:38 AM
What's missing on the Ariens?

Old 05-24-03, 07:24 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Absolutely nothing, but my coworker is keeping it for his dad. I called him at 7:30 in the morning (He's home on disability) and told him to hightail it up to his dad's block to retrieve it before the garbage collection got it.

Nice guy, ain't I?

The machine runs. He called me the other day and said it needs TLC, but is in working order.

Old 05-24-03, 07:28 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Let's see if this file shows up of it .

Old 06-04-03, 05:26 PM
Joe,
So what's the progress report? You can't trick us - we saw that bit in the tiller thread!

Big fig? I remember him. Not much to look at but he sure could dance! "Here's the tricky part".

Tom

Old 06-05-03, 09:46 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
LOL. The progress report is....

Mike Merritt and I are working on the needed parts for this beast, but because he doesn't live in the snowbelt, some snowblower specific parts may be a little difficult to commandeer. Mike's a busy bee of late, as I have been, so it's tough for us to chat about this stuff. .

As mentioned, the online sources KILL you on price and shipping! My local man won't prove to be much better (even though he offered me a job due to my knowledge..lol).

I'd be pretty elated to find the needed parts at a reasonable price. The list of items needed are:

Tec 32398 (bracket for carburetor cover---goes on the carburetor by the choke flap)
Tec 34134 Carb cover.
Tec 32182 Primer assembly
Tec 33697 , Muffler
Tec 632019 Float (I need 3 if you can spare 'em)
Tec 631807 Fuel fitting, L shaped
Murray #27283 Auger control knob.
Tec #36285 (I think it's Tec) Ignition lockout key
Tec? 46376 Switch, wire and locknut
Electric Start kit----I just need a new cord. Mine is missing the grounding plug (I can repair it, but I hate things like that. LOL).

If anyone has them reasonably or can help, I'd be indebted .

Thanks,

Old 06-05-03, 10:01 AM
Joe,
Have to run for parts now, but I'll check p/n's a little later. I'll have to move some stuff to make room for the car, might just stumble over something. Also have two older carb covers coming soon from an ebay deal.

Tom

Old 06-05-03, 10:29 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thanks Tom, I appreciate that.

BTW: The cover on my cousin's husband's 536-886120 1998ish era Murray looks like it's close in the way it mounts, but it might have some things mine doesn't.

His has a knob for the choke, mine uses the metal guide wire to pull by hand (really classy...lol). His has a key setup like mine should. I really don't want to take his unit apart, but I might have to in order to have a look. LOL.

The key switch on this thing looks weird. The parts manual shows it going to somewhere near the fuel tank???? Have a look at 536.909400 on the Sears site if you would (www.sears.com then "parts") and let me know what you think.

Thanks again.

Old 06-05-03, 01:01 PM
Must be your lucky day, Fig. I've got a red carb cover that should work, with the primer mounted on it.

What's with the ignition lockout? That's not on yours. You have a kill switch at the speed control. Your buddies machine has the "key" that everyone loses. You could modify the carb cover and get the components, but that seems a bit much. Hint: switch just shorts ignition to gnd. when "key" is removed.

I also have a float (brass) that doesn't sink.

Do you want me to check parts prices up here (MA) for the 34125,34213,32398, and 33333? I have to go over pretty soon to get some parts. Get an aftermarket muffler anywhere.

I'll try to get a pic of the cover later.

Tom

2 bearing hub ass'ys. & 2 ball joints - 205. How's that?

Old 06-05-03, 01:21 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Tom:

Don't blow your brains out on this one . But yes, if it's not too much trouble, please do check. I know Mikey Merritt will help me out too . LOL.

By chance is the float a new or used one? I figured I'd get a couple of new ones to have around. Lots of Chiefs in the [email protected] household (five to be exact. LOL).

Ya, that muffler is 17 bucks! LOL. I think the tailpipe for my Cavalier was less than that (and it's a car). LOL.

Ummm, the owner's manual from Murray describes a key setup. I remember my 1979 Craftsman "AYP/Roper" that my parents bought new had this type of security key. More so that a kid wouldn't try to get it running unattended more than "security".

Drop me a line, that would be great. [email protected] please.

Ummm, 205 for the bearings and balljoints seems pretty good, brand depending. Use Moog balljoints and BCA/Bower Bearings. In lieu of BCA Bower, Chicago Rawhide is OK. TRW balljoints are "OK", but now Federal Mogul owns both TRW and Moog and I suspect there will be some washing out of quality as they get synergy over there. Don't know.

My Triad computer system (this is the same one the parts stores use---they know I know my prices) is down, otherwise I could check part #s and prices for you.

You're going to have to get the bearings/hubs pressed into the knuckle though.

Old 06-10-03, 11:26 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ok gents, I will rebuild the carburetor tomorrow. I cleaned it in the laboratory at work with Safe-T-Clean, but that stuff "ain't" what it used to be and carburetor cleaner is the only thing that is going to remove the gum/varnish on it now in spots.

Rather than gas out the whole lab, I'll do it at home and bring it back.

Thanks to the kindness of Firepaw, it should be going in a few days. Thank you sir.

One question how is the float set on this thing? What size drill, can anyone post the setting procedure for me?

Appreciate it. Thanks a bunch.

Old 06-10-03, 11:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Joe,

Turn the carb upside down, lay a 7/64" drill bit between the carb body and the float at the opposite end of the float from the hinge pin, but parallel to the hinge pin. Adjustment of the height setting can be done by bending the tab at the hinge.

Old 06-10-03, 12:02 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Cheese, thanks.

Come to think of it, I have a Chilton small engine manual at home, I'll bring it tomorrow. That should do it .

There's a "step" in the fuel bowl, which direction does that go? It appears it could install on the carburetor either way.

Thanks,

Last edited by Joe_F; 06-10-03 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-10-03, 11:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The deepest part of the bowl goes under the end of the float that drops down. The shallow end of the bowl goes under the float hinge.

Old 06-11-03, 04:59 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hey Joe, on the float bowl install, there should be a dimple that pops up in the deep end of the bowl, it should be positioned so the float rests on it when down. This keeps it from sticking to any goo that may be there as time goes by.
It sounds like you may have found a kindred spirit in firepaw....LOL.
I have the list of parts you need but not much showing up for this engine this far south. Carb covers, keys etc. are Greek to me....LOL. To make matters worse the Tecumseh 5hp horizontal is almost unheard of on anything in my area. Hey, I do have the floats you need!!!!
I am going to send you a pic of a starter cord (new) in hopes it will work on your starter. I'm at home now but keeping my fingers crossed that you may be able to use the whole starter as a spare. When looking for a starter for your other blower I want to say I had one that fits H30-H35 through HH50. Part number changed at H60 and I didn't have it. If nothing else I hope the cord will work.......Mike

Old 06-11-03, 06:15 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Mike:

Thanks. Give me a ring when you get a chance or I will try you. We've both been busy. LOL. Your wife will probably tell you that something's coming your way from NYC .

Yes, Firepaw was kind enough to dig up some "snow specific" parts for this machine. In fact, I"ll probably paint it over the weekend just to freshen it up, but appears to be a perfect match. Thank you Mr. Firepaw for your kindness, and for ALL kindness and help here. I hope to return it to you all in kind one day.

Yes, whatever you find for the machine is appreciated, Mike. You and I need to catch up a bit!

If the photo size limit wasn't so small, I'd post a picture of this beast. LOL. A nice machine for being a 1979!

I decided that I will not put that dopey key system back for now unless I find a complete key setup on a junker down the road.

Today I'm rebuilding the carburetor and will report back on my findings and how it goes. I have a good Chilton book to guide us as we do it. The gent that's helping me is a good friend here at work and is a perfectionist . In fact, I learned how to rebuild Delco alternators from this fella. Cool beans.

Thanks all. The Chief should be wailing (err, purring) soon .

Old 06-11-03, 07:34 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Mike:

I think I will pass this one over to Merritt Motors Carburetor Shop. LOL. It won't run, I'm sure I did something dumb, but I'd like to have it go 100% for the winter (if you wouldn't mind). I need to call you to discuss other things on it as well as Big Murray. LOL.

In the meantime, I will work on other parts of the machine and get it 100% (like Firepaw's cover).

Thanks again---check your mailbox (the US Postal one) in a few days for something Ford Truck related from me.

Regards,

Old 06-12-03, 09:23 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Wink And it's off

The carburetor that is. It is out to Merritt Motors tuning shop (that's Mike Merritt of this forum) for a once over.

I figure I want an expert to go through this one. I'll try my hand at another down the road, and get it licked . Things have been busy at work of late and I haven't been able to spend the time I'd like to on it.

Firepaw: I may take you up on your offer to price out some needed parts for it. The shop up near me can be very high priced on the smaller items like this. I think beyond the carburetor rebuild, I just need the one carburetor bracket, a new muffler (Oregon special???) and a couple of screws for that cover.

After that with a good cleaning, it should be good as new .

Thanks all!

Old 06-12-03, 03:13 PM
Joe,
Good move on the carb. The spray cleaner often does not do the job on the old units. A soak is almost a must.

Before you ship it over to Mike, check the throttle shaft for slop. If it's real sloppy through the carb body, it will leak air into the flow and you'll NEVER be able to set the carb right. "hit and miss" may be OK in the summer but winter is a whole different story.

(The "T'man" set me straight on that throttle shaft!)

Tom

Old 06-12-03, 06:43 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Tom:

Thanks for the advise. Yes, it's on its way to Mike by now True, I want it to start well in the winter time as it is annoying to pull your brains out when it's 20 degrees or colder out. LOL.

The machine should work nicely when it's all back together. I will need to source a few more missing pieces and give it another wax job and lubrication. Then it will be ready for the winter time. I think it will prove to be a good machine.

A couple neighbors asked me about it and couldn't believe that someone gave it to me. When I explained that I was the one to get it running, they were like "OOOOOH". LOL.

Old 06-17-03, 09:29 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Note to Tom

Tom:

Not to go OT or run away with this thread (even though it's mine..lol) but you did OK on the price of the parts for $205.

Moog ball joint, K5273 $45.23 each
TRW, 10378 $44.00 each
Moog stabilizer bar link kit, K5252 $4.68 each

Bearings:

BCA/Bower, 513017K, $85.11 each
Chicago Rawhide/SKF $84.03 each.

All prices I quoted were jobber from the manufacturer's price sheets, so if you paid $205 in total for 2 bearings and balljoints you did alright--especially if any are these brands.

Hope that helps...LMK.

Thanks,

Old 07-11-03, 09:25 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Update:

Still working with this one. Mike Merritt and I are collecting parts for it and we have to chit chat about what the next step is. Murray Jr. will be running one of these days soon.

Next project is a rebuild on the engine of my Little Wonder gas edger, 3.5 HP Briggs which is a "recycled" find too .

Also got a 2.0 HP B&D electric edger (LE500???? model off the top of my head) which has a wasted electrical contact on the plug up top. Seems like any other B&D appliance like that. Wouldn't mind getting that one working.

Maybe Mike has one in his stash for parts. LOL .

Will report back on the progress of all projects and post pictures if I can. You can also access my website through my profile if you want to see pictures of my past projects and feel free to sign the guestbook if you'd like.

Regards,

Old 07-13-03, 08:45 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
No doubt Murray Jr. will throw snow later this year. I don't have an electric edger of any kind in the bone yard but may have some electric B&D stuff that may give up some parts they may have in common. Keep thinking of the edger Joe, remember how I was given that Sears blower EXACLTLY like the one you needed a couple of days after you mentioned it? Your box is growing, three carbs, the leaf blower etc. and I could/should have sent the box on but I am going through the Weedeaters like the one you want that have potential. I have at least 30 of that style that most will run with little work. I'm going to get you a good one going and include a couple of extra engines, drive wires and cutting heads for parts. I even have surplus .080 line to toss in. I don't think the box has reached the USPS 70 lb. limit yet....LOL....but if it jumps over it theres always United Parcel Smash service up to 150 lbs. I am thankful for UPS's 150 lb. limit but they can really destroy some stuff. Broke an engine mounting tang off of a cast iron Onan the other day. Go figure on that one. Think I will use USPS even if it goes in two boxes.
Joe, you always mention the things people give you. I had a friend stop by the shop Thursday and gave me a walk behind mower (blade brake cable fixed it) and a new Craftsman rear bagger system that he bought a month ago only to realize he doesn't have enough engine to throw the grass in the hoppers. It has very nut and bolt as well as all mounting hardware. Great business or what......Mike

Old 07-13-03, 12:29 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Mike "Murray" Merritt :)

LOL . Thanks Mike! You're a lifesaver old buddy! I'm going to need the WW at my granddad's. His property borders the city side and they never clean up on his side of the fence. The weeds are getting high and good old WW will come in handy over there.

(I may be able to get the city to do a clean up there and then I will do maintenance from there on in).

I will dismantle the Little Wonder when we're over this hurdle. I have the PDF file of the parts breakdown I can e-mail you for the 3.5 B&S engine. Is technology great or what?

Yes, it's amazing what gets tossed. I picked up a "Hosemobile" that someone pitched. Called Suncast and the sent along the needed parts at N/C.

Recently found a 8 gallon Ridgid Shop Wet/Dry vac with a lunched motor out for trash. Found out the brush ground lead let go. Called up Ridgid and cajoled them into sending a new motor. Installed it in a half hour myself of course. One working #WD0800 machine for Joe. WOHOO!!!

Just used that 1988 AYP/Sears 3.5 HP Chief powered rear bagger I always talk about at my grandfather's. Changed the oil, plug cleaned the motor cooling fins and it fired right up. Recycled in 1998 from my neighbor's trash with a jammed starter rope. LOL. Was cutting the grass with it the next morning .

Once again, thank you Mike. Murray awaits your magic. Maybe I'll post a picture of Murray Jr. blowing snow this year!

Old 07-13-03, 11:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Speaking of people giving stuff away...This has been my month!

A guy asked me if I knew anyone who needed a chevy truck for parts. I asked the usual questions, and then "how much". He said "come take it...it's been in my car port too long, and I got out of the habit of cranking it up every once in awhile, so it may not be any good". I went over there with a battery, cranked it up and drove it home. He previously had a new engine installed and a new dashboard put in. It runs great, but the brakes are locking. Probably collapsed hoses. 350 4-bolt main engine, 12 bolt rear that is a Ptrac best I can tell, with AC! Then he gave me 3 nice looking push mowers...complete except the air filters.

Then another guy gave me a barely-used trailer built for hauling a lawn tractor. Then another guy gave me 2 nice self propelled mowers, one with a bagger. One just needed a gas tank repair (already fixed and sold), the other needs a carb cleaning. Another guy gave me a box of tools...craftsman, proto, indestro, etc... And when I asked a junkyard owner down the road about some electronic components for my car, he said go out there and get everything you want off that car, because it's going to the crusher...take all you want for free. I got every relay, window switch, controller, computer, etc... that I could grab.

Talk about a month of blessings, lol! and it's not half over yet!

Old 07-14-03, 10:07 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Good for you . I've had those things happen.

To some folks, being rid of the stuff is really what they are after. Perhaps their spouse is nagging them about something in the way, they just get tired of seeing it or, frankly, there are problems with it they just can't figure out.

That was the case with Murray Jr. here. I almost bought it for $100 back in January, but then Murray Sr. came along for $180 and ran. But I said to myself, I wouldn't mind having a back up.

Usually, I'll scout the trash waiting for someone to put it out, but in this case, I just left a note in the guy's mailbox and as luck would have it, he called me.

I tried to go two for two looking for a ' 79 Trans Am 10th Anniversary that I had my eye on that belonged to someone my neighbor knew. I told the owner that I'd give him 3x what the salvage yard would give him if he sold it to me.

Turns out he junked the thing and never contacted me . I think I know where it went and it got squished .

Can't win them all . I did score a T-top for my car for $30 including shipping (RARE!) and the guy e-mailed me to tell me that he found some more parts he was just going to "throw in" for the same price to be rid of them!

Yahoo!