Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

transmission

05-12-03, 12:38 AM   #1  
transmission

My grampa has a 25 year old 10 hp murray riding mower. My dad had owned it and when it got to be really worn out, my grampa took it. Well it has seen it's better days but my grampa wants to make it last as long as he can. I had noticed how the shifter for the transmission has a LOT of slack in it. To shift into any gear, you have to move the shifter so far, that it almost can't go any further, then it shifts. I can move the shifter from first gear position all the way across to second gear position without any resistance at all, it feels like it's not connected to anything. My dad said it was like this when he had it, about 10 years ago. I have never done any repair to a transmission before so I know nothing. Someone gave my grampa an old transmission and they said it should fit, but I don't know if it will, so I want to try to get the one that's on the mower working. I have all the tools I need and plenty of time, so if ya'll think I can tackle this one I will give it a shot. Does anyone have any idea what could cause all the slack in the shifter? Also, will I need to drain and refill any oil in order to get to the problem? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-12-03, 09:12 AM   #2  
Joe_F
I'd have to say that's a linkage problem before anything else. Can you see anything moving that might have slack in it?

If you need a blowup diagram/owner's manual try:

David Wilson, Murray Technical Services, 1-800-251-8007. He is very helpful (when you can get a hold of the guy...lol).

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-12-03, 10:45 PM   #3  
Mower, is this a rear-engine rider, or tractor style unit?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

05-12-03, 10:58 PM   #4  
This is a tractor style unit.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-12-03, 11:14 PM   #5  
Ok, that eliminates one style transmission, now, to figure out what type of transaxle you have, does it have an "H" style shifting pattern, or a straight run of gears from reverse to neutral, then 1,2,3,4,(maybe 5 or 6)?

God bless!

05-12-03, 11:17 PM   #6  
H style. 1-2
3-R

Visiting Guest

05-13-03, 09:47 AM   #7  
Joe_F
Mower:

Give Murray a call and get the owner's manual so you know what you are looking at. I just ordered the one for my 536.909400 Sears blower I got for free over the weekend.

They said they should have it, just have to "pull it out of archive and make a copy and mail it to you". I'm sure they have your machine---it was made by Murray.

In my case, my "536" snowblowers were AMF and Noma which were absorbed by Murray. It's good to know they still support and kept all that information.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-13-03, 10:52 AM   #8  
OK, that transaxle shouldn't have any linkage, just a shifter going straight into the tranny to a shift fork. The shifter can be removed by removing the screws around the shifter rod at the top of the tranny. Most likely your shift forks are worn out.

God bless!

Search this Thread