Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine won't start

Visiting Guest

05-14-03, 11:00 AM   #1  
renocj
Engine won't start

I have a 12.5 HP Murray riding mower with a B & S engine. I have used it three times this season and it started right up all three times. When I try it now the engine will not fire. I can get it to turn but nothing else. I changed the spark plug and it is thowing a spark. I have tried carb cleaner and engine starter and all it does is shoot a blue flame out of the exhaust. I need help.

Sponsored Links

05-14-03, 12:37 PM   #2  
Is it still under warrenty?

Visiting Guest

05-14-03, 01:20 PM   #3  
renocj
Well that doesn't give me much confidence. No it is not under warranty. I bought it used about seven years ago.

05-14-03, 01:35 PM   #4  
It sounds like you may have a exhaust valve stuck open. Dose it seem to have any compression?

Visiting Guest

05-14-03, 01:48 PM   #5  
renocj
No. I don't have any compression.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-14-03, 10:36 PM   #6  
Hello renocj!

I agree, sounds like you have a stuck exhaust valve.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

05-15-03, 08:29 AM   #7  
renocj
How do I get to the exhaust valve to fix it? I'm new at this so please forgive the dumb questions.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-16-03, 12:07 AM   #8  
You will need to remove the head to access the valve, and remove the valve cover (PCV valve). To remove the head, take the engine shroud off and remove the head bolts. The PCV valve is a rectangular box screwed to the side of the engine behind the carburetor. From there, you can see if the valve is stuck. If so, remove the head to get the valve out and clean it up. When you replace the head, use a new gasket and torque the head bolts in their proper sequence and to their proper torque value.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread