Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

starting problem

Visiting Guest

05-14-03, 04:30 PM   #1  
racer
starting problem

I repaired a snowmobile for a guy about a month ago and it sat in my garage for about a month. It started perfect when i fixed it and put it to the side and waited for him to come and pick it up.When he came to get it I went to start it and it wouldn't start.But I sprayed a little fuel in the spark plug hole and it fired up and ran well. I shut it off and it will start right up no problem now. What would cause it not to start after sitting for a while and then be alright again? It is a float style carb with a choke and it also has a fuel pump. Thanks in advance!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-14-03, 10:34 PM   #2  
If the fuel is draining out of the bowl very slowly, or evaporating, it won't start until the fuel pump is able to deliver gas to the carb....mainly noticed on engines with mechanical fuel pumps. Also, if the choke valve is not seating fully it will do this, and if the intake valves don't have enough clearance it will do this. Check these things and let us know what you find!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread