Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Smoking!!!!!!!!!!

Visiting Guest

05-14-03, 05:31 PM   #1  
Hamerhead
Engine Smoking!!!!!!!!!!

I have a Briggs 15.5 hp,OHV-IC Craftsman riding mower almost five years old. I've took good care of it and it has had moderate use. It has always cranked and ran good. The last time I used it, it started smoking like a freight train when it would get under load of taller grass. I looked it over and noticed that it was blowing a "LOT" of oil up into the air cleaner. I put an old compression gage on it and it went up around 100 lbs but didnt stay(the gage is old). I read in a book that it could be a crankcase breather so I put a new one on it-it still smoked. I took the head off and it looks like maybe the head gasket is blown on the side that meets the valve push rods. I think maybe pressure is blowing by the head gasket and pushing oil back through the crankcase breather and into the air cleaner. You think this is the problem or maybe its the rings or something else? Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-14-03, 06:52 PM   #2  
mikejmerritt
Hello Hamerhead, replace the head gasket and see how it does. You seem pretty much on top of it, let us know how it goes....Mike

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-14-03, 10:27 PM   #3  
Hammerhead, as I was reading your post, I was thinking I needed to tell you to check the head gasket...then I got to the part where you mentioned that you were doing it already. Good job...I think you found your problem. It will definitely smoke if it blows in the area you described.

Let us know how it goes!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

05-16-03, 03:54 PM   #4  
Hamerhead
RE:engine smoking

I put the new head gasket on yesterday and tested it and it didn't smoke. I mowed with it quite a bit today and it ran great-didn't smoke or use any oil.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-16-03, 04:21 PM   #5  
Good Job! Glad you got it going!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread