2 Cycle Engine Problem

Old 05-14-03, 07:27 PM
Fyxxez
Visiting Guest
Ryobi 720r trimmer-31cc carb adjustments?

Got this old trimmer from a friend, dont know the history. Put fresh gas mix in, pulled it a few times , got it started. Seems like it is not coming up to full rpms when throttle is wide open. Cleaned filter, see 2 screws under the cover, a red a yellow. One other just metal. Should I try to adjust these? If so how?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-03, 10:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Fyxxez!

The screws you see have limiter caps on them. Use a pair of pliers to pull those plastic caps off. Then, with the engine running at full throttle, back the high speed screw (the one closest to the air filter) out a bit. If it speeds up, keep backing it out until the engine begins to have a flutter sound to it, and that should be good. If it slows down even more when you back the screw out, or stays the same, you probably have other problems, like an exhaust restriction, fuel line or carb problem, partially engaged choke, stopped up air filter, etc...

Let us know!

Old 05-15-03, 03:04 PM
Fyxxez
Visiting Guest
Exhaust restriction......like carbon build up maybe?

Old 05-16-03, 12:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Correct....matter of fact, I ran into one with this exact problem today. Cleaned the muffler out and it ran like a top.

Old 05-16-03, 05:50 AM
Fyxxez
Visiting Guest
This is a trimmer I got for my fire station,getting the city to provide one is too much paperwork. Sometimes it's easier to get one and DOIT YOURSELF! I will work on it tommorow when I go in.