too much oil=smoke

Old 05-14-03, 08:29 PM
too much oil=smoke (briggs 3.5)

I have a John Deere walk-behind, that my parent purchased about the time I was born, (1984). Has briggs 3.5hp, with high compression.
We gave up on it ~5 years ago-then I had the gumption to fool withi it this year (the deck is built like a military tank, and will last for several more decades).
The ignition had a broken wire, this being the whole problem all along (fixed). Runs great....... I decide to change the oil, and when refilling it put too much in-didn't recheck dipstick enough.
Started up, ran for two minutes, then smoked profusely. Stopped it knowing my mistake. Drained excess oil. Still smokes bad.
What went wrong with too much oil? What needs to be repaired/replaced? I truly hope to get it going again-quality machine despite some rust on the handlebar and Muffler. Do note that I am not an expert, err rather 'motorhead'. I'm on the learning curve though! I do have a friend that is good with this stuff-maybe I'll get his help before graduation (he will be 100% occupied afterwards).

regards, gj
My "birthmower" hah!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-03, 10:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello GJ!

Run the engine for a little while. There is probably oil in the muffler and throughout the engine that needs to be burned out. If it still smokes after 5 or 10 minutes of running, let us know!

Old 05-15-03, 01:38 PM
Unfortunately, I tried your idea without sucess, thinking the same thing (oil to burned out).
What's next?
gj

Old 05-15-03, 07:32 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
About the only place oil could be trapped and fail to drain/burn off is in the PVC valve/breather. Remove it and clean with mineral spirits or other solvent and give it a shot....Mike

Old 05-15-03, 08:28 PM
Where is it? look like?
I asked someone today, they said the seals are probably at fault, or valve seats. And not not worth fixing.
What do you think?

Old 05-15-03, 08:58 PM
Don't give up yet. I don't see how a seal or bad valve seat would cause this, if a seal was bad, oil would be leaking out of the engine, and if a valve seat was bad, you wouldn't have good compression. The pcv valve is rectangle in shape and is near the muffler. There should be two 5/16 bolts holding the cover on. Be careful not to mess-up the gasket. If you can remove it without tearing it, then do so. Solvents can ruin gaskets. Flush the pcv valve and reinstall it.

Old 05-15-03, 11:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree, a seal or valves would not be the problem. The valve cover is on the opposite side of the engine from the tank, and is about 1 1/2" wide X 3" tall, held on with either two 5/16" head screws or two 1/4" screws, depending on how old it is.

Old 05-16-03, 03:26 PM
Boost of confidence--in the old JD!! I didn't think it would be anything as serious as what I was told by the friend. I'll go look at it-I had taken the muffler off when cleaning the mouse nest out of the engine about a month ago to fix the ignition. I had found two dead baby mice which were not survivors of the cold weather. I recall seeing the rectagular cover you identify. Thank! gj