Carb Questions

Old 05-15-03, 09:57 PM
b&s carb styles

I have been wondering what the difference is between the float type, vacu-jet, pulsa-jet, flo-jet, and any other style of carb used by briggs. Can somebody please explain the difference. Also, I know that a diaghragm and sometimes a spring are used as a fuel pump. How do these "fuel pumps" work off of the engines vacume? I couldn't find a website that explains any of this, so I hope someone here can. Many thanks to whoever is patient enough to answer this long question. I appreciate the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-03, 11:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Mower!

The differences in those carbs are in the way they operate. The float stylewhich includes the flo-jet works like most carbs, operating on the venturi action to pull gas into the engine. The pulsa-jet uses a diaphragm. The pulses of pressure, created by the movement of the piston, makes the diaphragm pump, which pulls the gas up the pickup tubes and into the carb, using check valves to keep the gas flow positive. The vacu-jet operates similarly, but uses the diaphragm to pull the gas through the pickup tube into the bowl in the top of the tank. From there, vacuum pulls the fuel through the jets.

Hope this is understandable, if not, let me know.

Cheese

Old 05-16-03, 09:35 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Mower:

A great B&S resource that I have found in the local library is a B&S Small Engine Repair book. I forget the name, but it was published in 1998 by B&S.