2 Cycle Engine Problem

Old 05-17-03, 02:51 PM
dobbin
Visiting Guest
Question Mantis stalls once warm

Hey all.

I have a six year-old Mantis tiller/edger with a 21cc, two-stroke engine. I have no problem with starting or idling when cold, but once it's warmed up it will not idle. Once it dies it's virtually impossible to get it started again until it cools back down. It runs fine as long as I give it gas but if I let off for even a second it dies and I can't get it started again. Adjusting the idle screw makes no difference. Now don't shoot me, but I've done no maintenance on it other than clean it and check the air filter once in a while. I've never drained the gas tank in the off-season though I know I really should. I'm not surprised it's not running right, but was just looking for another opinion as to where to start. Could I just have a gummed up valve on the inlet or low speed needle or something? I'm pretty good at working on these things, but don't know all the jargon/terminology. Would a good soaking of the carb solve my problem? Thanks for a reply.

dobber

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-03, 09:29 PM
At first I thought it was a faulty coil, but now I think it is running a little rich. Try turning the screw again in a little in a clockwise dirrection..

Old 05-18-03, 12:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello dobber!

Try loosening the gas cap when it is warm. If the tank vent is restricted, it will vapor lock the fuel system and cause the symptoms you describe.

If that does not improve things, let us know!

Old 05-18-03, 01:49 PM
dobbin
Visiting Guest
Thanks for replying. I will try your suggestions and let you know what I find.

Appreciate ya,

dobber

Old 05-25-03, 02:51 PM
dobbin
Visiting Guest
Talking

Mower17,

You are indeed the Red Hot Chili Pepper!

Another 1/2 a turn to the right on the idle screw and she's running right as rain! I guess I just didn't turn it quite far enough the first time.

Thanks loads!

Beano

Old 05-26-03, 11:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good job! Good advice Mower!

Old 05-27-03, 03:24 PM
Glad you got it running!!!!!!!!!