Engine Smoking

Old 05-17-03, 07:45 PM
richyd36
Visiting Guest
bolens g 16 xl oh 160 engine

hello it me again on this bolens it was smoking really bad and the guy i bought it from had just completely rebuilt the engine well i checked everything you guys had suggested head gasket , seals crank case breather and all and couldnt come up with any thing so i decided to use it as is and just check the oil after every hour or hour and a half of use so one day i was mowing the baseball feild where my 2 sons play baseball about 6 hours of mowing and i had already checked the oil 2 or 3 times and the first 2 times i had to put 4 to 6 ounces of oil in it each time well the 3rd and fourth time it was still full and i noticed that it wasnt smoking at all and i have used it several hours since then and it hasnt smoked any or used any oil i was told at a local lawn mower shop that the rings have to seat themselves into the cylinder and thats why it was smoking until i ran it a few hours and they seated in could this possibly be true because i havent seen any smoke for a while and its not using any oil at all has great power and runs super thanks in advance and god bless

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-03, 12:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello richy!

Yes, the rings do have to seat, but I can't see it smoking that bad, then all of a sudden quit. Maybe. I kinda wonder if a ring wasn't stuck or bound up in the ring groove until it worked loose, or if the pcv valve was hanging up, or something to that effect.

Old 05-22-03, 07:29 PM
richyd36
Visiting Guest
thanks guys for all of you help this thing really seems to be a running machine ive been greasing and oiling everything up on it everything seems a ok i havent seen any smoke for a while it really runs and operates great this is a very heavy duty and a (heavy) mower when i put it on my ford ranger it almost drags the ground the 48 inch cut is real nice on these ball diamonds once again i thank you for all of your advice and help thanks and god bless Richard Welch