Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Carb. Problem.....

Visiting Guest

05-17-03, 11:00 PM   #1  
Ken S.
Carb. Problem.....

Hello,

Murray 21" walk behind w/self propelled. Briggs&Stratton engine. Unfortunately could not readily see any model stamp or serial#s. on the engine. However mower tag says model# 6-21981. Date of manuf. 3095. Gas is weeping out from carb. throat even when not running. Mower runs and will start on one pull. Dropped bowl to take a peek. What I assumed to be a float ( toiletseat shaped plastic )did not seem to be stuck . Thats the limit of my expertise. Can you please help me troubleshoot and correct the problem. Also if I need parts , can you determine the make and model of carb. from the mower model# and date of manuf. that I have provided.

Thanks,
Ken S.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-18-03, 12:19 AM   #2  
Hello Ken!

My guess is that you have a 5hp Briggs engine with the large square gas tank, and that is why you can't find the model#. The model # is stamped on the engine shroud UNDER tha tank, so it must be removed to get the #. The float is held on with a small pin at the hinge end. Pull the pin out and the float will drop. Attatched to the float is the needle. You will need to replace this needle and take a q-tip soaked with carb cleaner and swab out the hole that the needle goes in, and reassemble. That should cure your problem.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread