Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hard Starting & White Smoke

NE

05-18-03, 09:42 AM   #1  
Briggs & Stratton OHV Intek white smoke

Two years ago, I bought my Yard-Man with the B&S OHV Intek. Last year, my wife put two-cycle gas in the tank and then wondered why it didn't run right. Ever since then, it smokes white and is harder to start. I know something is damaged, but I was wondering if anybody else has run into this kind of dilema. Burnt valve? Blown rings? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-18-03, 12:07 PM   #2  
Fisher
Your wife is innocent!

It may just be gas in the oil, causing an over-full condition, or
just over full on oil, or a leaking head gasket.
There are many other problems that one SHOULD blame
on a spouse.
Fish

NE

05-18-03, 01:39 PM   #3  
The oil and the gas have been drained and changed since then. All levels are good.

NE

05-18-03, 01:40 PM   #4  
By the way, thanks for being judgemental.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-18-03, 09:30 PM   #5  
Hello jclaar!

Welcome to the small engines forum!

Fish is a regular here, and his reply, I'm sure, was innocent humor as many are.

Other than the suggested things, a head gasket could be blown, a PCV valve could be bad, or the rings could be worn. Blown head gaskets do occurr often enough to consider this to be a good chance of causing your problem. Check the easy stuff first though.

Let us know how it goes!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NE

05-19-03, 05:02 AM   #6  
Thanks for the welcome! It just annoys me that the thing was less than a year old and it ran like dog-doo. The reason I spent almost $400 on a walk-behind is because I was tired of dealing with mowers that didn't run right and took 25 pulls to start. I'm going to look at it this weekend, but I'm expecting the worst.

Search this Thread