Pull Starter Problem

Old 05-18-03, 03:31 PM
elect1
Visiting Guest
start rope does not rewind completely

My starter rope on 3.5 B&S engine does not rewind completely. Sometimes it will not rewind until I tap on top on cover. Do I need to replace spring and what is involved in this task.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-03, 09:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello elect1!

Remove the starter shroud from the engine and see if it operates properly independently from the engine. If so, it is likely that someone stood on top of the mower to reach something high, or somehow the top cover got distorted slightly and is binding on the starter ratchet. You might be able to straighten it out a bit by reinstalling it and lifting on different sides of the starter housing to see where it needs to be bent up a little, then pry it up some. If not, replace the assembly.

Another possibility is that the starter ratchet is cry and needs oiling, but usually this is made obvious by a loud screaming noise when the engine is running (which you didn't mention, so I don't think this is the prob.).

Old 05-19-03, 10:48 AM
elect1
Visiting Guest
I appreciate your information. The first time I used the mower this year it did make a squealing noise but hasn't since. I will let you know what happened

Search this Thread