Locating Mower Parts

Old 05-19-03, 10:14 AM
Finding lawnmower parts??

Is there a website somewhere that I can find the proper wheels, and air filter, that go in my mower? I know - I can go home - take the thing out, remove the air filter, and wheel, and carry it into Lowes or Home Depot with me - but given that I don't even think about this until I am at work - I would prefer to be able to just "look it up" somewhere. I have the owners manual, but the wheel size is not listed, neither is the filter type. It has the type of spark plug, so I have that on my list. My mower is a Craftsman, 6.0 HP 22" B&S engine. The model number is 917.377530. I called the Sears store, and they can get me Sears parts, but they want almost $20 each for the wheels - which seems pretty high. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-03, 10:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Yardnut!

The mower you have is made by AYP. You should be able to get parts from any small engine shop for an AYP mower for less than sears price. As far as looking up a cross reference for the part#s, I have no idea where to go. There is no site that I know of that does this, other than a craftsman engine model cross reference, but this doesn't cover air filters and wheels.

Old 05-20-03, 03:33 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Correct, AYP makes the machine (917 prefix in the model #) . The #s you'll find on Sears' website (www.sears.com and then "parts") are vendor's #s. That is, whoever makes the machine for Sears, it's their part # .

Which is neat, because if you can determine the source of the machine, you can skip the Sears markup (I do ).

Try www.rcpw.com

Pretty sure they carry AYP parts, but their shipping is high. I'm kinda in the same boat with the 1979 Murray/Sears snowblower someone gave me. It needs minor parts, I know what they are, but the shipping in these places KILLS ya. LOL.

Old 05-20-03, 06:03 AM
Well that's certainly good info. (Who knew? - I thought Craftsman really made the mower).

AYP sounds like a "nuthin-special" brand. Can I take this model number (of the wheel) and go into Home Depot, (not sure where to find a "small engine shop" and find a wheel to match? The description did say it was an 8x2 wheel - can I just go by that?

Old 05-20-03, 07:19 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yup, but it's likely that only AYP carries the right wheel. You may be able to find an aftermarket wheel (from a company like Arnold), but it's hit or miss.

Sears doesn't make anything. Everything is made for them by someone . The first three digits of the model # on a major item like that denote the source code.

AYP is part of Electrolux AB (www.electrolux.com)

Old 05-21-03, 01:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
AYP stands for American Yard Products. They make a lot of Craftsman equipment, plus Roper, Weedeater, Husquavarna mowers, Rally, Poulan, Yard Pro, Jonsereds mowers, several store brands, and there may be some I'm leaving out. They are decent machines for the money.

Old 05-23-03, 12:29 AM
whome
Visiting Guest
In this day and age of 50% success in marriages, business "names" are just as bad. Names get swapped on the market everyday, while the tooling, patents, schematics, manuals, and assorted details get scattered around making life just a little shorter everyday. I'm still waiting for them to settle on just one set of measurement standards so I don't have to keep two different sets of tools.

Old 05-25-03, 08:16 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Yardnut

Potential sources for manuals and or replacement parts:

BILLIOU'S 1-209-784-4102

L.S.THORPE CO. INC. 1-617-776-2445

FOLEY-BELSAW COMPANY 1-816-483-4200

Disclaimer:
I do not have any affiliations nor vested interests in any of these retail parts suppliers. Provided solely to assist with locating parts.

Small engine parts can also be found at your local small engine and lawn mower repair shops listed in the phone book.

Regards & Good Luck. Small Engine Forum Host & Multiple Topics Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.