Lawn tractor maint?

Old 05-20-03, 10:12 AM
Lawn tractor maint?

I have a White brand lawn tractor. It is approx 8yo. I have had it serviced at my dealer and small engine repair shop (minor stuff and maint).

What maint can I do myself?

Also, how can I safely remove debris buildup around cutting deck? I usually try to blast out what I can with a garden hose.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-03, 07:18 PM
Change oil and oil filter, change air filter, change spark plugs, fix flat tire, sharpen blades, grease axle/deck

A blower gets all the grass off the deck very well, but a hose does just as good as long as you are able to blow/drain all the water off the deck. Leaving this water will rust the deck. Also, make sure not to drench the electric clutch for the blades if you have one. The water will ruin it.

Old 05-21-03, 01:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello deseidel01!

I agree. Make sure you get all the debris off the deck if you are using a water hose, because the clippings on the deck will retain water for a long time, keeping the deck wet. As the clippings decompose, they can become acidic, causing rapid deterioration of the deck. Another thing you can do is clean out the cooling fins occasionally, to keep them from clogging up and causing engine overheating. Also, spray moving parts with WD40 to keep them free from rust and operating properly. Visually inspect the mower for problems, like worn belts, loose connections, rust, wear, etc...

Old 05-21-03, 06:46 AM
Thanks, folk!

Since this is not my specialty, can you answer a few more ?s:

Will I need ramps to change the oil and work on the blades? Where can I find a "how to" manual for my lawn tractor? My library usually has car & appliance manuals that I can copy sections from (reference copies only). Where can you suggest I look for a manual on lawn tractors?

Old 05-21-03, 08:39 PM
Using ramps to remove the blades is a big plus, after a while having to get up, lay down, see that you don't have the right socket, get back up, then lay back down again, then your filthy by the time you finish. Also, to change the oil, there should be a small pipe coming out the side of the engine just above the frame with a cap on the end, so all you should need is a small bucket and a cresent wrench. As for the manuel, a book store might have some manuels that cover the general how to with certain brand mowers in general.

Old 05-22-03, 09:05 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Amazon.com carries pretty good Chilton generic manuals, as does the local library in most cases.