Weed trimmer will not start

Old 05-22-03, 11:40 AM
Weed trimmer will not start

I have a Ryan Weed Trimmer Model 265 that will not start. It is getting spark and appears to be getting gas to the spark plug. I have rebuilt the carberator and have checked the reed valve and they seem to be working ok. I have also replaced the spark plug and installed a new fuel line and fuel filter. The only thing I have noticed is the gas on the spark plug appears to be much darker than the mixture of gas and oil from the gas tank. I have adjusted the needle valve from 1 turn out to 3 turns out at a 1/8 turn at a time with no luck. Can any one help or suggest what may be the problem. Thanks

Last edited by compaqguy200; 05-22-03 at 12:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-03, 09:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Compaqguy!

Sounds to me like it is flooded. Try removing the plug and pulling the engine over several times to clear it out, then try starting it with the choke open and throttle wide open.

Old 05-22-03, 11:51 PM
whome
Visiting Guest
To get it running, spray some starting fluid (ether) into the airfilter. Not much required, 1 sec burst at a time. Try starting it this way and running it. "Too dark" fuel may be a heavy oil mix in the tank. Re-mix fuel to recommended ratio using fresh fuel. If it runs, warms up, and stays running, tweak adjustments, clean/replace filters, tighten mounting screws, seal for drafts to the intake. Gasket sealer like "Permatex' helps against pinhole leaks.

Old 05-26-03, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by cheese
Hello Compaqguy!

Sounds to me like it is flooded. Try removing the plug and pulling the engine over several times to clear it out, then try starting it with the choke open and throttle wide open.
Thanks for the suggestion but had no luck. If its getting gas and spark what could be some other reason why it won't start.

Old 05-26-03, 01:30 PM
To rich or a fuel mixture might me a problem. Did you check to make sure the air filter isn't clogged. Try starting it without the air filter. Also, make sure you have fresh fuel and the proper fuel/oil ratio.

Old 05-26-03, 04:43 PM
whome
Visiting Guest
Check the compression. If the rings are worn it won't start nor develop power.

Old 05-26-03, 10:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Also check the exhaust. If it is badly clogged, it will not start.

Old 05-27-03, 01:48 PM
whome
Visiting Guest
If that doesn't work, unbolt the cylinder head, gently scrape the carbon out of the combustion chamber, off of the piston head, clean thoroughly without marring the aluminum, re-assemble the head, torque to specifications. Connect all lines, check for leaks, good luck.

Old 05-29-03, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by whome
If that doesn't work, unbolt the cylinder head, gently scrape the carbon out of the combustion chamber, off of the piston head, clean thoroughly without marring the aluminum, re-assemble the head, torque to specifications. Connect all lines, check for leaks, good luck.
Thanks so much for your help. After taking off the head I dicovered the sides of the cylinder head and the sides of the piston were scorn and had grooves in them. No wonder it would not start. Guess it's time to put the bad boy to pasture. Thanks again for helping me find the problem.

Old 06-07-09, 04:20 PM
Ryan Trimmer will not start

I have a Ryan Trimmer and the only way it starts is with some Quick Start spray. I also have to change and clean the air filter more often. Hope this helps