Combustion Chamber Deposits

Old 05-27-03, 02:07 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need to flush combustion chamber?

On my Shindaiwa T20 weedwhacker I just found the exhaust port was 75% blocked with carbon. Hoping this would explain the power loss I've had for months, I carefully scrapped the carbon out and opened up the port back to it's normal opening. But I may have gotten some carbon particles down into the chamber, in between the piston and the cylinder? I don't know if the carbon is hard enough to do any damage but if I have to get it out what's the best way to do it?

I could just run the motor with the muffler off...would that blow the carbon bits out. Or I could fill the chamber with gas and try to drain it all out. Or is any of this even necessary?

John

Old 05-27-03, 05:00 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Looking into the exhaust port of many 2 cycle engines I have seen scoring on many pistons. This probably is from carbon that got between the piston and cylinder wall. Most of these would still run but it couldn't be a good thing. I use a can starting fluid to blow these things out. First, I spray the port until it looks clean and then I lower or raise the piston until its level with the bottom of the port and blow starting fluid through the spark plug hole with the port facing down so all goes out the port. If you will use a 1/4 can or so of fluid it should be rinsed pretty clean.....Mike

Old 05-27-03, 02:03 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mike, thanks for the starting fluid suggestion...I'll give it a try.

John

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: