Engine Valve Noise

Old 05-28-03, 06:29 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Kohler Command Valve Noise

Anyone have experience with the Kohler Command engines with the constant valve tappet noise? I know what normal OHV valve noise is, this one makes some serious chatter. Engine is a 16 HP Command (vertical) and has almost no hours on it. Warranty service isn't an option because the engine was pulled and replaced as warranty work. I'm fairly certain the tappet noise is why this engine was replaced and am confused by this because a brief net search turned up references to a kit for this problem. Has anyone been through this and if so where does it lead?.....Thanks....Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-03, 09:10 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Hi Mike:

I found this link which is an online Kohler manual for the engine in question. Maybe they have some pointers there for you:

http://www.kohlerengines.com/service_manuals.html

The proper grade oil is being used, right? Have you tried a little Marvel Mystery Oil in it?

Old 05-29-03, 03:16 PM
Hello. I am glad that for once, I can help you and return the favor. I have read on another forum about the tappet noise. One guy had e-mailed kohler and turns out that on kohlers, the tappets have a small hole drilled into them. Well, air bubbles will sometimes develop in the tappet and force all the oil out. On some engines, the tappet at the highest point in the engine which will get the least amout of oil will develope this problem more often. Well anyway, that kit you found does work, but the way it works is, in the kit, there are small plugs that you install which stops up those small holes so that the oil stays in and air stays out. Usually, the only way to get rid of the problem was to remove the tappets, flush them, and refill them with oil. Some people did have success with using a little marvel mistery oil, others say they had success with using the factory recomended 10w30 oil. I looked for the link but couldn't find it. I hope this helps!!!!!!!

Last edited by mower17; 05-29-03 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-29-03, 07:06 PM
Here's what I found what one guy found out about the noise.

http://www.whatsthebest-lawnmower.co...num=1051567028

Old 05-30-03, 05:34 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replies, now I have a step or two to try Friday. I called the guy who helped me with the engine change and asked him which oil he used when it was changed. He said he assumed I would like to see the best we had on hand used in it and that was Castrol 10W40. I never gave it a thought because the 30W and 10W30 are what we use most. I'll change it today and do hope it clears most of the noise.
mower17, what you say makes sense with hydraulic lifters and did read that one service shop uses synthetic oil because of its anti foaming additive which would = no air.
Joe, I didn't know there where any Mystery Oil fans left out there. I have been sold on that stuff since I was 17. I had a 66 Rambler 440 with some major valve noise. My boss at the time walked over, poured a can in and the lifters settled down in seconds. Thanks for the thought, I don't know that I would have gone there. I hope to post back that my project is on track. BTW, this is on a perfect John Deere STX 38 that came with a Command 12.5. That new 16hp sure looks nice under that hood!!!.....Mike

Old 05-30-03, 05:59 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

You're welcome Mike, any time. I'd surely dump the oil for the right stuff and see what it nets you before a teardown. You'd be surprised what I have seen over the years.

MM oil is good stuff for noisy engines. Good for Chevy V8's and the like which are known to clatter.

NEVER in a Pontiac V8 (because they do not clatter. Ahem ).

Let us know. Best of luck, buddy....we're here for ya!

Old 06-01-03, 08:25 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Update

Changed the 10W40 oil for the proper 10W30 and no help. Didn't try the Marvel Mystery Oil yet but will. Read elsewhere that a spoonful of MMO cured valve noise on a couple of Kohlers but they were horizontal shaft twin engines. One other said to try Kohler brand oil for a magical fix. May try that but doubt results. If that doesn't work I will order the kit which I understand is free. It ought to be....Mike