2 Cycle Engine Problem

Old 05-31-03, 11:03 AM
NutAndBoltKing
Visiting Guest
Question J Deere LineTrimmer

I have a 3 year old John Deere LineTrimmer BC1600. Never had any problems until today. Very hard to start, then it races, will not idle and stalls. I found a small crack on the plastic intake manifold. Could this be the problem, and what else should I check and look for? Thanks for the help and advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-03, 12:33 PM
That would definiately cause the problem. The crack would allow air to be sucked into the engine leaning out the fuel mixture. An engine burning a lean mixture forces the engine to run hotter, continueing to run the engine as is will create so much heat that the engine could freeze up, so you will probably need a new manifold. Hope this helps!!!!

Old 06-01-03, 07:14 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: NutAndBoltKing

I fully agree with the cause of the problem explained by mower17.

Word of note. Be sure to note where and how each part that has to be removed is currently located and attached. Doing so will make reassembly much easier.

Vacuum leaks caused by improper reassembly will also produces like or similar running conditions. Which often causes mechanics to think the part replacement did not correct the initial problem.

Correct parts reassembly & replacement would have corrected the initial problem, if the reassembly of all parts had been done correctly.

Incorrect reassembly of parts removed to access the known defective part creates other more difficult problem causes. Often leading one to think the replacement part was not the cause.

In the instance you noticed, the problem part is easily known. Reassembly done incorrectly which causes problems would be the case of attempting to diagnose a more difficult problem.

Old 06-01-03, 10:48 AM
NutAndBoltKing
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Thanks!

Thank you Tom and mower17. I tore down the unit this AM and found that the intake manifold had cracked into two pieces, right though the two holes where it screws to the cylinder. I can't get a part today, it's Sunday, so I experimented and epoxied it back together. Just an experiment ... it starts and runs, but races and will not idle properly. It appears to me that the new intake I'm getting tomorrow will solve the problems. Thanks again for the great advice.