Honda mower

Old 05-31-03, 06:24 PM
Honda mower

Well, my old 5 year old Murray lawnmower is now retired I got my use out of it.
I went and got a brand new Honda lawnmower not the top of the line but it is self propelled I see that it has OHV like an automobile engine. What do you guys think of the Honda engines?
I really like it cuts great starts first time and the whole nine yards. Also I noticed the blade is belt driven why do they do that? The only reason I can see is for sudden stoppage such as a rock strike it wont tear up the crankshaft.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-03, 07:44 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello Michael

The blade is belt driven to provide a measure of personal safety as well as the benefit if preventing damage from striking a non moveavable object, etc.

The engine idles and the blade stops rotating when the operator is not behind the handle bars. Will also prevent emgine damage if something is struck.

I'm sure there are other good reasons which will be mentioned.

As far as quality for both the engine and frame, I'm also sure they rate at the top of the consumers product list.

What others think of the product will be personal opinions unless backed up by consumer reports. And even those reports can be biased.

The key factor is how you like the product and how well it works for you needs. Kindly post back the results as you use the machine. Doing so would provide the forum with additional information on it's performance.

Kindly use the reply button to add additional information. The topic will remain in the archives for about a year. Note todays date for future reference.

Regards & Good Luck.
Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment." Small Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair.

Old 05-31-03, 07:58 PM
thank you

Thank you for the response I will keep the people up to date on the Honda performance but so far I like it alot.
Michael

Old 06-01-03, 06:45 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Michael

Yes. I can agree with you on the product. It is a quality machine and rated so in the consumers guide. Attesting to the fact is the commerical machines are used by the professionals whom make a living mowing lawns.

Another advantage I prefer is the powerful vaccum action of the deck design. The machine lifts and removes much, if not all, of the clippings cut and most other debris found on lawns.

This action & feature means less clippings left behind to either rake up or to mulch up and choke up airration to the soil.

Not all of the left behind clips will deterior as claimed and become beneficial mulch. Thatching than becomes more frequently necessary. However, less clippings are sent to the land fills.

Properly maintained, like any other machine, it will provide you with years of good service. Be sure to follow the manufacturers maintenance schedule and procedures.

Certainly be glad to have you update this thread. Note the date and once agin use the reply button. Doing so will mark the posting date for referrence.

Years from now when the machine is much older and you have had trouble free service, this thread will have long expired.....

Old 06-01-03, 12:06 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Just curious why you have to retire the Murray?

I'm running two Craftsmans, mine from 1992, and my neighbor's former 1988 model which he threw out and I recycled and got running in 10 minutes. LOL

I still use each unit each week to mow my lawn. Both run great .

Old 06-01-03, 08:59 PM
The reason I retired it

The reason I retired the old mower is because It would search for a speed to run at it went up and down a carb problem I am sure also the blade was wasted to many lawns the fuel tank had a leak and last but not least the pull starter rope broke.
It was just old the fuel line was aged and cracking I was just tired of messing with it and the good news is my wife likes the new mower because she does not have to push it so she does the lawn .I took the top off to see if I could fix the rope and after drilling out some rivets I got it out but the spring went flying.
Oh well I will take better care of this new mower I used to leave the old on outside in the rain and hot sun this new one goes in the shed.

Old 06-02-03, 06:09 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lol. I guess I can't justify spending that kind of money on a new mower. I'll put it toward something else . I could probably fix that one for under 50 bucks .

As I said, my equipment lasts forever, since I take care of it .