Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

gas-trimmer "chokes" out

Visiting Guest

06-01-03, 09:33 AM   #1  
tonybud
gas-trimmer "chokes" out

I have a Weedeater gas trimmer that runs good for the most part. However, it seems to "choke" out at the most in-opportune times. It will run good for a few minutes then will start to bog down and stop. I reset the choke and restart with no problem(usually). After a few minutes, I have to repeat the whole process. I guess I'm fortunate that it starts at all, but would love to be able to do the whole lawn w/out having to restart it 10 or 15 times.

Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus

CAL

06-01-03, 10:06 AM   #2  
Hello tonybud. Welcome to our Small Engine forum.

A simple adjustment to the carb may or may not resolve the problem depending on other conditions. Try this first.

Turn inwards the "H" screw about 1/8 of a trun. The "H" mark will be on the carb body. It indicates the high speed fuel adjustment.

Very possible the volume of fuel is too much causing the engine to flood out. The "L" screw indicates the low speed fuel setting. This setting also adds fuel to the flow.

If the idle runs fine without flooding the engine the setting may be already set correctly. If the engine hesitates during acceleration the setting may too low or too rich.

A rich setting will allow excess smoke from the muffler to be visable. A rich fuel setting can also carbon up the muffler. A restricted exhaust system and or muffler can also cause problem likely or similar to the problem you described.

Most likely I have not covered all of the potential possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your topic several times over the next several days for additional replies.

Suggestion:
Read the other postings and replies offered on this same type of problem topic with 2 cycle engines in the recent postings, within this forum, for additional help & information on this subject.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Tom_B.
Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Search this Thread