Chain Saw

Old 06-04-03, 04:20 AM
Chain Saw

I have a McCullogh 55cc saw - I started it up yesterday and cut for about 4 minutes - shut it off and put it on the ground. I happened to look over and there was smoke coming from it - white, not black smoke, and there was a " tick tick " noise coming from the carburator.
Naturally, i did not start it up again - thought it might blow up, as it was very, very hot.

Anyone have any suggestions -

Thanks for any responses

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-03, 06:36 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: knanuk

Check the fuel to oil ratio. May be too lean for that engine. Also clean the cooling fins on the engine head, the starter housing and check the air filter on the carb.

The engine just may be running too hot as a result of an cooling air flow restriction or a lean fuel oil ratio. Also check the fuel system for free flow to the carb and the speed adjustment screws.

Most likely I have not covered all of the potential possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your topic several times over the next several days for additional replies.

Regards & Good Luck. Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator.
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

Old 06-04-03, 02:26 PM
Had a friend look at it -- he repairs small engines -- said that the
" ignition" something or other was shot. They, McCullogh, are out of business so parts are almost impossible to come by.

He does not sell chain saws, so no gain for him to lead me astray.

The 2 big brands here in Canada now are Stihl and Husqunavara(sp).

Anyone have any pro's or cons re either.

Thanks in advance

Old 06-04-03, 02:57 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: knanuk

You do not have to replace the ignition part with an exact OEM part. Nor do you have to replace the entire machine, unless of course you want to.

There are small externally installed electronic ignition modules that replace the OEM ignition parts. They are available at small engine repair shops or at one of the small engine parts suppliers list below.

BILLIOU'S 1-209-784-4102

L.S.THORPE CO. INC. 1-617-776-2445

FOLEY-BELSAW COMPANY 1-816-483-4200

Disclaimer:
I do not have any affiliations nor vested interests in any of these retail parts suppliers. Provided solely to assist with locating parts.

Small engine parts can also be found at your local small engine and lawn mower repair shops listed in the phone book.

Other small engine service and repair professionals, replying within this forum, may be able to offer you additional locations and or sources to obtain manuals and or parts.

Regards & Good Luck,
Small Engine Forum Host & Moderator.

Old 06-05-03, 06:08 AM
I finally figured out how to use the "search" thing on the board - excuse me but I am an old guy just "trying" to learn these new fangled boxes.

It seems that Stihl, Husky and Jonsered are the suggested saws for the least problems - I think with Stihl in the #1 spot.

I have had so many problems with the McCullogh that I am seriously considering getting a new saw, or buy wood, as we have a woodstove and heat mainly with wood - about 3 bush cords a year. It never fails - I start cutting and a good day, no matter when, I last 30 mins and the saw needs something done to it - too bad that they were #1 years ago ( the reason I bought it) . From what I have read the Stihl (and others) tend to be very reliable - which would get my wood cut a lot faster, as I am getting old and it is getting a chore to cut it the way this saw has performed.

Old 06-05-03, 09:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree, from experience, that Stihl is rightly among the top brands. You know, Tom has a point though...if your saw has ignition problems, and the points (if equipped) are causing the problems, you can convert the ignition system to electronic ignition for less than $20.00. Might be worth doing.