Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

power washer

Visiting Guest

06-04-03, 07:36 AM   #1  
ripperdog3
honda power washer

i have a honda 5.o power washer GC series, i was using it today and all of a sudden sounded like something just broke it poped a little through the exhaust. i tried to start it again with no luck. it seemed to me that it took very little effort to pull rope, like the motor was turning over with little resistance. where do i start and what to look for?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-04-03, 09:30 AM   #2  
First, remove the spark plug and use a piece of wire in the plug hole to feel the top of the piston while you turn the engine. (you want to find out if the piston is moving up and down or not). If not, you have a broken connecting rod. If it is moving, pull the valve cover and check for valve train problems like a valve spring that has broken or popped off, or a stuck valve. Let us know what you find!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

06-04-03, 10:51 AM   #3  
ripperdog3
welll bad news one of the valves broke and went through the head it is sticking up right behind the spark plug. i guess i will have to buy a new engine. i can get one for about 200 bucks. Now i need to know is what caused the valve to break and come throught the head?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-05-03, 12:12 AM   #4  
Could be a number of things. The valve clearances may have been too great, causing the rocker arm to "slap" the vlave stem until it shattered, or the spring could have broken, or maybe it just broke from stress of normal use. You can replace the head if it is ruined. $200 for a honda is a great price if it is new, or close to it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread