Carb Assembly

Old 06-05-03, 12:15 PM
kjgates
Visiting Guest
Briggs & Stratton 3.5 HP Quantum

A friend gave me a 10 year old lawnmower that he couldn't get started. The mower is a Murrary with a 3.5 HP Briggs and Stratton Quantum engine. Model 121702, type 3180. He had left gas in the tank over the winter and it wouldn't start this spring. I did the routine maintenance and then figured the gas had gummed up the carburator. Took off the carb and then made the mistake of taking the carb apart, as shown in the B & S repair manual. Came apart real easy. Cleaned the parts, found the carb kit to replace the seals, etc. My problem is I cannot get the throttle lever back into the carb housing. It came out fairly easy, but will not go back in. Does any have any suggestions has to how I can get the throttle back in place?

Thanks
Kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-03, 09:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello kjgates!

Is the shaft twisted or otherwise distorted? It should just slip right in. What seems to be stopping it from going in?

Old 06-06-03, 09:47 AM
kjgates
Visiting Guest
Sorry, I didn't describe the problem correctly. The shaft slides right in with no problem. It is the valve (this is what b&s calls the part - small, circular brass piece which is connected to the shaft with a small screw) that I cannot get back into the carb housing. It seems the valve is larger than the opening in which it goes, but obviously it came out. I have tried different angles and positions, but to no avail. I don't want to force it for fear of damaging the valve.

Thanks for your help.

Old 06-06-03, 01:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have you tried putting it in from the other end of the carb?

Old 06-06-03, 09:34 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
This brass "butterfly" as we call it will only go one way and it WILL NOT go in as you would think. When it is in properly it will not appear to be closed all the way by design. Take your time, flip the "butterfly valve" both ways, do as cheese says, sometimes the only way to get it in is from the opposite end of the carb....Mike